Another Beautiful coin today

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone, Went out today for a hr and a half. Back to the grove slash abandoned cemetery. We did alright. I turned up a beautiful 1918 mercury dime. In au but I would drop to ef from being in the ground. I found 4 wheat's a buck in clad and alot of relics again. My brother got 4 wheat's and a cool old good luck token with a swastika on it. I know I saw one somewhere. My last 3 of my 5 silver coins I have found have been in almost uncirculated condition. They are almost always worn down a ton. And to find them back to back like that is nice. I have added 3 really nice coins to my collection over the past few weeks including that standing liberty I found.

This coin came out of the ground and it was white. If any one wonders why my coins are so clean is because I polish alot of them with a cleaner to take off the oxidation because they get so gunked up around here. I don't care about value and clean almost everything. You couldn't even tell a condition on this coin if I were to leave it alone instead of cleaning it. So I decide to clean. I'd rather have a shiny coin than a heavily oxidized coin that you can't see know detail on.

Thanks for looking

Jeremy

Attachments

• Beautiful Merc.jpg
    Beautiful Merc.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 380
  • Beautiful Merc back.jpg
    Beautiful Merc back.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 371
  • wheats and clad edited.JPG
    wheats and clad edited.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 399
  • Cemetery Relics edited.JPG
    Cemetery Relics edited.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW, great cleaning job how do you do it? I hope you don't do this to rare key dates or other older rare coins. (Mercs no problem)

Keep @ it and HH!!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice merc. Great condition

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc,
I'm still looking for my first one.

Kermit

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY COOL JER.

that G.A.R. Star,

? ? ? ? IS A Cemetary Marker For A CIVIL WAR Soldier.

? ? ?

DO you Remember EXACTLY where You Found It ?

? ? ? ?Of Course This Is COMPLETLY up to You, I'm Not Your Mother? ;D

BUT if it Was At a Grave, You Should Get A Metal Post & Re-Plant It There.

Or, Contact The Local LEGION, Tell Them Of Your Find, & ask Them To Replace it On The Grave, with A
newer One.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? THIS SHOULD get you Carte-Blanche (SP), To The Whole Area, Especially If You Tell Them You Were Bothered By the Condition Of It, & are Restoring It.

? ? ? ? ? I found 2 Of Those While Helping Restore An Abandond Cemetary Years Ago, & the Legion Told Me They ARE Legion Property, & They Do Replace Them, With More Perminant Ones That are Theft Proof.

Which they Did Place New Ones In Small See Thru Vaults At Each Civil War Grave.

HAPPY HUNTING !

? ?Jeff

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I don't clean rare coins if I can visually see a good date on them with just a rince. If they are really bad they get cleaned. I usually will just leave the black oxidation on them if they are rare. I use mother's mag and aluminum polish on them. Also I use it on relics. That stuff works great. I clean my crome wheels on my car with it. You can get it from walmart to autozone. Red and white can. Does wonders on bad coins and will put a nice shine on any metal.

As for the grave markers I feal bad that they are just scattered around. This one is damaged. It was hit by a lawn mower at some point. I found it at the base of a enourmous tree. It was a few inches deep and had a wheatie in the same hole as it. The other one I found was closer to a actuall grave. I just don't know where it went. All the graves are scattered amongst the woods. Some are fallen over others are still good but the land they are on suck. Nothing but a hillside in the woods.

Thanks for the tips Jeff, I will look into trying to get them back to the right place. I have no need for them. I didn't earn them and they shood stand proud in front of the graves of those who risked there life.

Thanks for looking

HH Jeremy

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
If the marker is from what appears to be an abandoned cemetary or one that is not being maintained, I would certainly go to the American Legion and talk to them about it. Certainly it would be nice if somehow they could make it an annual project to clean up and maintain all the graves. Certainly if some of the grave markers are buried, then the graves they marked are now lost....

Sure would be nice if they could use ground-penetrating radar or even Metal Detecors (imagine that! :D ) to locate any lost graves...

Our Civil War soldiers deserve to be respected in their final resting place.

I only wish I knew where my 3 X Great-Grandpa is buried...but that is a mystery that will never be solved...

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I sometimes clean some of my coins like that as well, at least I can see them and enjoy them; I doubt if I ever try to sell them.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
My son and I went out a few days ago. We detected a site that use to have an amusement park in 1904(Lincoln Park - Lakewood, Ohio). This site has been hunted extensively. We did find one wheat cent and a 1920D mercury dime. The dime looked so bad I did not post it. Maybe if I can polish it up I'll post a pic ;) Anyway, your finds gives us hope that even in the hunted areas there are gems to find. Now where is my brush clearer...

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread