THEY FINALLY CUT THE GRASS!!!!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been searching a boarded up funeral home built in 1914. The site is about 6 acres with a decent amount of tree cover. I've been sticking with the tree line, not much growth there. I've been doing this off and on for a couple weeks. The grass was cut on friday and I was able to get there on sunday. I found plenty of shredded aluminum from the lawnmowers in the front. In the back however, I came across a trash pit. I started digging a target and about a foot down came across an amber colored bottle sitting horizontally in the ground. At first, I thought it was a newer beer bottle buried by one of the homeless people in the area. I was able to unearth it in nearly perfect condition except for a very small chip on the lip. I've seen others on ebay saying it was a bitters bottle. I found the bottle at the end of my trip. I will be returning asap. There was broken blue and white dishes in the hole also, that leads me to believe it is a trash pit. I'm not a bottle collector but I think I've been bitten by the bug. I also found a 65,94 penny, a dedication coinfrom 1978, an empty blade supply box from american safety razor company. The blades were to a scalpel not surprising around a funeral home. I will be counting the minutes until I can get back there.

Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Cool finds!! The trash pit you describe sounds like a outhouse hole, is it on the lawn or in the woods? If its in the lawn you may want to get permission to dig a large plug of grass out and dig down around 4-5 feet and get all the artifacts if it is a outhouse hole. I found the same blade box but it had utility blades in it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my luck I'd find gold......teeth! Those places give me the creeps, way more than grave yards! Sounds like an interesting site though so keep at it. JIM

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
WD.

that could be a very interesting bottle dump. Bottles from certain profession are at a premium. If the area is out of the way, you say it's in the back, start digging.

I said digging but.........

Once I start hitting shards I start to scrape away the dirt, layer by layer; mess up fewer bottles.

Let us know how it goes.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

M

mchamby

That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone in a hurry to get back to a funeral home ;)
Hope you can get permission to dig a big hole and you find great things to show us.
Mchamby

F

Floater

Nice finds Willie. Use a very thin Ice pick for a probe around the dump. This way as you hand dig you will get the feel for the dirt vs/ the objects. Very gentle touch and if its sharp just put a little duct tape on the end to blunt it. works great. Keep us posted. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread