MY FIRST WALKING LIBERTY

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
This is my first summer metal detecting, so I am kinda excited about this find. My first walking liberty, 1916 minted in Denver. Found at 8.5 inches. Also found my second mercury about 100 feet from this location. 1941, Funny thing is, it was less than 1/2 inch deep. Also found my 10th silver ring for the summer. This was my first adventure in this particular park and spent about three hours hunting. Small town, USA. Don't think its been detected much. Also found a couple of wheaties and tons of clad.

Picture does no justice, my camera is crap. Both coins are in beautiful shape

Attachments

• 50.JPG
    50.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Doug,

nice finds.

"10 silver rings this year." Silver is nice. What type of detector are you using?

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1916-d is a key date, and worth some $$ if it's in good+ shape. Haven't heard of many being found.

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
W

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Using a white's dfx. ?I have so much to learn yet, but getting there. ?Its paid for itself in about three months. ?4 gold rings, 2 gold bracelets, 10 silver rings, and about $320 in clad, a few silver coins, one large cent and about 40 wheaties. I really like this machine

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Too bad the Merc wasnt a 1916d ,, Most Excellent finds regardless.....JO

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ILLINOISDOUG said:
Using a white's dfx. ?I have so much to learn yet, but getting there. ?Its paid for itself in about three months. ?4 gold rings, 2 gold bracelets, 10 silver rings, and about $320 in clad, a few silver coins, one large cent and about 40 wheaties.? I really like this machine

Must have been some really heavy gold rings & bracelets?? to cover the cost of a DFX with only $320 in clad too..

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
W

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
One ring has a small diamond that was appraised at 400 and the mens wedding band was appraised at 250. So 400+250+320 comes to $970, I paid $976 from kellyco shipped to the door. Thats not counting my other two rings and 10 silvers, but who is counting

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Small towns are sometimes the best. Big town = lots of people with metal detectors. I am from the Cleveland area. Guess the good thing is that there are lots of places to detect :) Anyway, Great finds. We(my son and I) have only found one half dollar - a 1943 Walking liberty. I found it at the house my dad grew up in. Kinda special. Good luck.

PS - do you have a scanner? You might need to get one so you can post all the beatiful stuff you find in all it's detail. ;)l

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds. Mercury dimes are my favorite coins, cant wait till i find my first

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver, I found my first walking liberty last tuesday, at about 5 inches. It was a 1943. I hunt with a xlt, and mainly use it for cw relics. Congrats on your success !

F

Floater

That is a great haul Doug.
On the Camera if you just back off about another inch I think it would have come out clean and in focus.
Give it a shot. Also does it have a macro setting? Thats the little emblem that looks like a Flower in a pot on the camera?

Congratulations again.
HH

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
That is one of the most beautiful U.S. coins made, I hope to find one someday.

Good luck!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are doing well on the finds, congrats! Looks like you are not using the cameras macro mode like Floater pointed out. HH, Mike

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Good work on the walker, i'm yet to find one, but everyday that passes is one day closer to me grabbing that first one.

Keep up the good work and let us know what you find!!!!

HH

Steven

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I'm still waiting for a merc to fly up off of the ground in to my hand...

ashdigger

May 29, 2005
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Good job Doug when those walking halfs comes to light its a wounderfull thing, those are one of the most attractive coins our uncle ever made. I hope its the first of many, Steve..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread