Back to the Cemetary tonight

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone, Me and my son got out tonight for a few hrs. We went back to the site I am working right now. Made a few cool finds while out. I got this really neat bracelet that was someone's and it has all there kids names and dates on the back of them. Two are from 64 and one from 65. The other 2 don't have dates. I don't know if it is silver. It's not marked and has? no sighns of corrosion on it. One actually say's Tuffy then on the back it says funny looking kid.

Did a before and after pic for you all. Want people to see it is actually dug. And to also see the condition coming out and what I can get it back to.

Found this really small watch unless it is some kind of fob. It is flat and has no insides. It says 7:00 and I guess it was attached to a band or something at one time. But it isn't a watch for telling time. It's just a fake. Not sure exactly what it went to. Or if it was just worn for decoration. Thought it was cool. It's about as thick as a penny is and made from the same composition it looks like.

In did manage 2 wheats and one savings check token good for 1 cent when deposited before jan 1st 1918 in a bank called farmer's bank of pittsburgh. I have a few of these or so.

Other than that it was good just to get out. I have to work saturday all day and sunday looks like another trip to the pirate game. The wife gets free tickets from work all the time. So don't know if I'll get back out until next week.?

Thanks for looking

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Not cleaned yet edited.JPG
    Not cleaned yet edited.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 598
  • Cleaned edited.JPG
    Cleaned edited.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 584
  • Cleaned Back edited.JPG
    Cleaned Back edited.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 597
  • Cleaned Relics edited.JPG
    Cleaned Relics edited.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Jeremy,......Nice finds!
they sure did clean up kinda nice! I have a silver curb link charm bracelet JUST like that. I got it in '66, (when i was a young thing). The zodiac signs charms on yours....i have the Gemini one, same style, looks like from the same co. Haven't worn it in years, now I wanna go clean it up!
HH :)
ash

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Wow what a haul :o nice assortment of relics too! i see you are making a collection of those GAR things... that bracelet loosk silver to me.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff Jer!

HH

Lonewolfe

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, especially nice cleaning job. The GAR badge is super cool !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FINDS AGAIN JerDfx.

You MAY know this, BUT :

? ?To the Right of the Top? GAR MARKER . That is An COFFIN HINGE.

? To the South West of the Same Marker, Is a Coffin Handle. Some were Silver Plate back then.

They also Sealed the Coffins Shut with Lead Seals, I can't see If you Have any yet, But if you find Flat Strips of Lead, Thats What they Are.
? You Will Most Likely Find Decorative Crosses Also From the Coffins There Somewhere.

SORRY, can't help with the Watch, Other then to say I found a Similar one, but it was Round instead of Rectangular.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HAPPY HUNTING
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Jeff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By what he's Finding, It sounds to Me like Most or Maby even All have been Removed.

I helped restore One Once Where alot were Removed & put Elswhere.

And From What I know, The Coffins just Crumbled as They Removed them.

This would Explain the Parts Lying Within the Detectors Reach.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Nice finds as usual Jeremy! Good to see you out and gettin the good stuff again! The bracelet cleaned up really nice! ;D

HH 8) surfrat

P

peasweet

Wow, makes me want to go dig in my cemetery. We have large one on our property that dates back to the 1700's, but for real, I wouldn't ever dig there. I do let my mind wander as my detector makes music as walk around, but with the tombstones still there, I know that's illegal!! I restoring the cemetery so if something just happens to pop up I'll be sure to let you all know!!!

Does anyone know how to preserve already decaying tombstones so they won't crumble any further? So many have already been destroyed by vandals too. I'm trying to piece them together.

Peasweet

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
peasweet said:
Does anyone know how to preserve already decaying tombstones so they won't crumble any further? So many have already been destroyed by vandals too. I'm trying to piece them together.

Peasweet

If there Is a Way, Nobody Tried It at the One I did.

The Local Memorial Salesmen, Donated ?Time to Upright the Large ones, & we Just Stood Up what we Could, Cemented the Broken ones Together, & Layd Flat the Ones Too Bad to stand.

and the Legion Came in & put up New Unremovable GAR Stars.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi all and thanks. I knew there would be numerous replies to this. First I'm not hunting this site at night time. Second the place is not abandoned. There are strips of woods and lawns bordering the place. I am hitting all of these spots. At some point they must have said forget about certain parts of the place. I would love to detect the actuall grave yard but I have to be respectful. I have been to this site about 5 times.

One time I was asked by someone what I was doing. I told the guy me and my son were detecting. He was getting ready to close the cemetary and didn't want my car to be locked in. This cemetary is like 300 acres. He never said don't come back or your not allowed. These are real touchy spots so I stay hidden in closure. I know what I'm doing. It's not against the law here but I'm not digging on top of graves either. I have enough spots were I don't need to sneak into cemetaries for a few wheats. I'm just hiting the spots to where I'm not going to bother or offend anyone.

There is a big house in the cemetary were people live in it and take care of the place. I am half tempted to ask them if I could hunt the whole grounds accept for on top or around graves. Then I could mark and find graves and artifacts that I'd be willing to give to them. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for all the help Jeff. I'm starting to run out of land here that I feal I can detect without bothering anyone or disturbing them. So I'm not to worried about it. Just was a place to hunt for a few trips or so.

I could say more but I'll keep my opinions to myself. Seems to be the best thing for me to do. I was fealing a little hate on this post.

Thanks again

Jeremy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hate From Here Jer.

You Got Me Reminissing About The One I Did, & all the Cool Finds. ;D

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
No I know Jeff. You seem to understand exactly what I am doing. I appreciate all your knowledge to on this stuff. I have repect and know your not supposed to hunt in grave yards. I'm just hitting woods and land around the place to where it won't bother anyone. I'm sure if I were to step into the actuall grave yard I'd be asked to leave or could get into it with someone visiting. I wouldn't want anyone digging on my mom's grave either.

I just know how to find treasure and push it to the border. Your lucky you can stand on this terrain and hunt it let alone visit someone. Alot of my finds seem to be just scrap cemetary stuff thrown over the hillsides. There was one nice grove that was the producer for me. There were no graves even near it. Just was a old grove with tree's leading up to the the place. We are right in plain view to. Everyone can see us. Were so seen I guess no one cares. And no one cares about the woods around the place either. So I just keep hunting it. I don't feal wrong about it. So what's the most someone could say is we don't want you here. No problem I would leave. You have to take some chances in this hobby or you'll end up with empty pouches.

Thanks again Jeremy

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finds Jer,,, Keep up the good work...
What is the story behind the " GAR " markers? I remember reading, or seeing something about them on TV, but my memory is not all that great.. Good luck & Happy hunting~

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jer ;

? ? ?Yea, Sounds To me it's all Scrap too.
There was no such word as Littering Back then? ;D

Leon ;

GAR is Grand Army of the Republic.

The Stars Were Placed on Civil War Veterans Graves. so the veterans knew on Veterans Day.

Apparently The one Jer is Doing Had them replaced with Newer ones at one time.
And instead of Returning them to the Legion, Just Thru them away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions