Sundays Privy Dig

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
We got out for some digging yesterday. We were in a woods on top of old foundations near downtown Cincinnati. Chuck found a "mac 11" 9mm sub machine gun under a big foundation rock he knocked off the wall. It was loaded with 21 9mm rounds. It had a shoestring tied around the rear site, for wearing inside a jacket probably. Must have been used for some illicit thing and then hidden. Crazy ! -Eddie

Attachments

• gunsmall.jpg
    gunsmall.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,916
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's the full auto model you could be in big trouble just possessing it without a Federal license. You can own one but it has to be licensed and registered. If it's the semi- auto it is legal, maybe not in Cincinnati, but as far as the Feds are concerned it is legal. That's one of the gangbangers favorite tools it seems. Being in downtown Cinn, that's probably where it came form. Just an educated guess. If you turn it in, remove the magazine and clear the chanber and take it in in two pieces. Or better yet, have them come out and get it out of your trunk. Neat find to say the least, but not worth all the hassel it can cause you. Monty

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Honestly I would have probably kept that. I know, wrong. But damn.

Is the magazine metal or plastic? Is the safety on the side or on the underside beside the trigger? If it has 21 bullets in it then you can bet there are 11 holes somewhere in town. The shoestring is sort of a stock. You place your arm in it just above the elbow and push out until it's tight for some stability while firing. That sort of thing is found on full autos.
It looks to be in decent condition considering, did the action work? I would have unloaded it, disassembled it and oiled and scrubbed it clean. If the barrels bore isn't too pitted it might even be fireable.
They sure are fun running full steam. It would clear that magazine in about a second or so.

Big trouble if you get caught with it.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that will keep the punks that try taking ur silver, away :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Bottleviking

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
Nah. it's all junked up, locked up and frozen. Probably been there for a couple years or so. Forensic ballistics are compromised, so no riddle solver at this point. It'll probably just get turned in anyways, to play it safe. We looked for the wad of money, etc, that might have been part of the cache but nothing else turned up. There is another place like this down the road and there are empty purses all over in the woods, dern criminals. Hey I'm just trying to dig a hole, I got no time for all this cold case litter :)

OP
OP
Bottleviking

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
Although this one was found above ground, over the years I have dug maybe 7 to 10 guns up out of privy pits. Revolvers and even rifles. I always figured that back in the day, if a river wasn't within tossing distance, an outhouse almost always was, and that would have made an excellent spot for getting rid of a weapon used in a crime. So far I haven't dug up any of the victims themselves out of any outhouse pits, thank the Lord, and regardless of the fine Halloween dig story it would make for, I hope I never do ! :o

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottleviking said:
Although this one was found above ground, over the years I have dug maybe 7 to 10 guns up out of privy pits. Revolvers and even rifles. I always figured that back in the day, if a river wasn't within tossing distance, an outhouse almost always was, and that would have made an excellent spot for getting rid of a weapon used in a crime. So far I haven't dug up any of the victims themselves out of any outhouse pits, thank the Lord, and regardless of the fine Halloween dig story it would make for, I hope I never do ! :o

HaHa Yea I don't think any Investigater would Volunteer to
Search a Live Privy.

Of course they may Order the Goof on the force to do it :tongue3:

today they could just send a Poop-Sucker Truck to
get it

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
hey looks like ya have a new hunting partner! that will keep the inquisitive away. willy.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I'd like to have one over the fireplace like that...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H staff said:
Just a little friendly advice, Next time! lol don't put your hands on it .Call authorities first! It looks like you counted the casings which MAY have had fingerprints on them.If, it was used in a crime , Which, Ill bet it was! It could be a Very important missing link to prosecution! Now guess who's prints are on them! Just saying. Be careful!

I'm sure they Can Age Fingerprints, If by chance there are older ones there yet.

However point I see

IF the area you found it was searched for evidence
& The gun was never found. It could
at least now be added to the records
as proof the user did have it on his or that land.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an Ingram clone, possibly RPG industries, Cobrey M11 judging from the length of the receiver and the lack of selector switch.

My personal choice when finding any weapons is to contact local law enforcement and let them finish the recovery.

Great Find and sounds like a great area :thumbsup:

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Jeep said:
Looks like an Ingram clone, possibly RPG industries, Cobrey M11 judging from the length of the receiver and the lack of selector switch.

My personal choice when finding any weapons is to contact local law enforcement and let them finish the recovery.

Great Find and sounds like a great area :thumbsup:
Look toward the front of the trigger guard, is that the selector underneath? And the cocking knob is in the foreward position but the bolt is open...It looks full auto to me. What a hoot to shoot.
Get rid of it.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
You definitely need to report this ASAP. I would've left it on the ground as found, called the 5-0, then waited for them. Common sense man, common sense. Finding a civil war era weapon is one thing. Finding a modern one is another. Do the right thing.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I know Chuck and the Bottle Viking. Chuck called me and we talked about the gun on Saturday night. He had already called CPD, and they were supposedly on their way. He ended waiting around for a couple hours on a Saturday night before they came. They were rude, took the gun, and wrote down his info. They said the gun would be destroyed. My advice to Chuck was to turn it in b/c it was probably used in a crime. In hindsight, those cops didn't give a squat about any potential crimes involved, and acted like jerks. Shoulda kept it, made it functional and started taking down commies!!!!!!!
Jon Dickinson.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pointdlr said:
He ended waiting around for a couple hours on a Saturday night before they came. They were rude, took the gun, and wrote down his info. They said the gun would be destroyed.

That's Sad.

Definately will make me think Twice about Trying to do the "Right" Thing

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
jeff of pa said:
pointdlr said:
He ended waiting around for a couple hours on a Saturday night before they came. They were rude, took the gun, and wrote down his info. They said the gun would be destroyed.

That's Sad.

Definately will make me think Twice about Trying to do the "Right" Thing

A few bad apples don't make the bunch. This is a statement I take offense to. I truly hope everyone will do the right thing. Ya know, we all have bad days... I can't vouch for the ones he dealt with that day. I do know CPD just found a dead 12 year old girl earlier in the day and had arrested a convicted sex offender for the crime. Deal with that everyday and tell me how you might get just a little crass.

I'm sorry your dealing with the police was less than perfect. But please don't hold that against the rest of us.

Thanks for listening.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guys in uniform don't care much since they just turn it in . The plainclothes guys will then follow up and see if it has any significance or is related to any crime. I don't know what the laws are in Cinn., but if it's not an illegal weapon and no one claims it, you might be able to get it back. But you will need to ask for it. Probably the prosecutor has authority to release found property to the finder within X number of days if no owner is found. It would be worth checking into. Although not operational it would make a neat wall hanger or display item. And I don't think you can ever go wrong doing the right thing. You probably saved yourself a lot of grief by doing so. Just my opinion. Monty

OP
OP
Bottleviking

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
Glad to hear Chuck turned it in. I figured he would. There are kids that play in the woods and a house or two a couple blocks away, so it's good that an adult found it instead of some kids that wanted to beat it against a rock or use it for a play gun. I figured it would just go into the police scrap pile. it was tore up with rust. For those that were interested, it had a switch near the front on the side that went from semi to safe, so I guess it was just semi. The ejection port was all the way open but the action was only half cocked and frozen, so it may have broken and was maybe just being got rid of. Who knows, another strange day in the fields. That missing girl cpd just found was a terrible thing. The guy who did it was on a big crime spree too. He should get the max or the axe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread