Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speed The Plough It Feeds All - Walsh's Hard Times Token found & KGIII copper

Today I explored into very thick underbrush, following a swampy stream that the other homesteads in the area were located near. My cuts and bruises from the briers were rewarded by finding another new and untouched tiny early to mid 1800s homestead.

The area only had one small clearing, unlike my previous sites found in the area, however in that small 10 foot by approx 40 foot long area of clearing I did get a 1835 Walsh's General Store Hard Times Token, which when you first find, you think you have a NJ copper because of the Plow on the one side, but this time, since this was my second Walsh's token found, I realized right away it was a Hard Times Token.

About 4-5 feet away I also dug, at about the same depth (4-6 inches) a couple very large grommets with web material still attached, as I dug further, I started to pull out a mostly complete shoulder harness web assy with one latch hook on it. This is a mystery item I will be posting on What is it. I am not sure if it is period or something more modern, rather heavy duty like a more modern day parachute rig setup, but don't see anyhow it could be that but who knows.

This homestead was so thick with Brier and underbrush, once I got out of the small clear area and started hunting the perimeter which was full of iron hits, I got a very early type button, perhaps a spunback type of a pot metal variety and then I got another coin reading in thick brush. That turned out to be a very think and smaller than normal size counterfeit King George III Halfpenny, I can make out 177, but not sure if the last number was for sure, I thought a 0 for awhile, now not sure. It weighs only 75.5 grains (A regal is twice that in weight) and is only 26.5mm in diameter. Like I said, thin and small, and of course very worn and corroded.

I did find one more relic, but darn if I could find it when I got back to my truck, it was a decorative little oval shaped plate that must have been on a chest or something. I am going back tomorrow and maybe it will reappear. :)

So, I found a new site, calling it Site 234 and it is very isolated, no road or paths going to it that I could find and it will be hard to refind again tomorrow but I did take my compass heading and it should be easy from the road to find because of that. The greenback and underbrush give this site a rating of "I had to use my pruning shears" to move about to hunt..................... Tough site for sure.

Don

Attachments

• Site234.jpg
    Site234.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 813
  • ButtonSite234.jpg
    ButtonSite234.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 752
  • 1770KGIII HalfpenySite234.jpg
    1770KGIII HalfpenySite234.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 740
  • 1835WalshsGeneralStoreHardTimesToken.jpg
    1835WalshsGeneralStoreHardTimesToken.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 763
  • Unknown Harness Assy.jpg
    Unknown Harness Assy.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 805
  • 1770+KGIII Recovery.jpg
    1770+KGIII Recovery.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 800
  • Site234underbrusharea.jpg
    Site234underbrusharea.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 802
  • NeedPruningShearsToHuntHere.jpg
    NeedPruningShearsToHuntHere.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 804
  • HardTimesToken Recovery.jpg
    HardTimesToken Recovery.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 802
Upvote 0

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Re: Speed The Plough It Feeds All - Walsh's Hard Times Token found & KGIII copper

That looks like one tough place to hunt :o

Congrats on the great finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

G1

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Re: Speed The Plough It Feeds All - Walsh's Hard Times Token found & KGIII copper

WOW!!! Congrats on the great digs Don. That hard times token is in spectacular shape! That would be a fine addition to any collection... :icon_thumleft:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I love it when the research pay's off Don.....WTG!! :thumbsup: I hope I can find another 1700's Copper soon,cool coin's!

barry61

Jun 18, 2008
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL

Way to go Don,you are on a roll already this year.
Barry

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don, As always, CONGRATULATIONS! You never cease to amaze me at what you find. Me and Golden1 are chompin' at the bit to get out there but are still a week or so away. That token came out fantastic. I'm hoping you catch the last # on the KG. Waiting to see the pics when it is clean. ( I hope it isn't yet :wink:). Am always watching your posts and you haven't disappointed me yet. HH Hogge

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

nice job on the walsh's hard times token!!!! :)

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

Is that a arrowhead in the 2nd pic,or just a rock?Nice hunt BTW>>>thanx .....Geo

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Nice Hunting area but even nicer finds!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds as usual Don. You got me thinking how many of those tokens were made......and for that matter, how you managed to find 2 in Jersey. :o :o :D The one I found last year, In New York, which doesn't look nearly as good as either of yours, was found only about half an hour from Lansingburgh.

Keep up the good work. You are having an excellent year so far. :thumbsup:

Rob

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

Great Job once again Don....your research sure pays off!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Looks like a typical KG III that my group finds in farm fields. As long as you can identify it. :thumbsup:
Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Token in nice condition. :thumbsup:

pro778

Jan 21, 2008
Forked River, Moorestown, NJ
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 E-TRAC

Another great day. Sounds like it was worth the fight of getting there. There's nothing worse then fighting the swamp, briar's and laurel and not finding anything. It's hard to imagine that anything could have been there when you look at how nature has reclaimed the area.
Great way to break in that new tector. Congrats!
Lee

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Speed The Plough It Feeds All - Walsh's Hard Times Token found & KGIII cop

Don in SJ said:
"perhaps a spunback type of a pot metal variety"

Don

I look forward to seeing what you post, and once again you did not let me down. I have a similar type of button dug quite some time ago (pictured below). It is shaped like a tombac, but too corroded to be one. I would assume it is of the same "pot metal" you refer to.

2008_0519Image0014.JPG

I would like to suggest investing in a small handheld GPS device, such as the Garmen eTrec. You can use it to mark landmarks or waypoints within about 15 feet. They run around $100.

125121_150x150.jpg

Attachments

• 2008_0519Image0014.JPG
    2008_0519Image0014.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 413
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil, I have a GPS unit and do not care to use it, carry it around, just not my thing. For the very few times I ever need it, it just is not worth the effort in my opinion. I carry the official BSA compass and that is great. Nothing helps you walk thru inpentratable Greenbriar in a straight line..........

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice token, and the site looks great to me. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Neil, I have a GPS unit and do not care to use it, carry it around, just not my thing. For the very few times I ever need it, it just is not worth the effort in my opinion. I carry the official BSA compass and that is great. Nothing helps you walk thru inpentratable Greenbriar in a straight line..........

How about plotting finds? That the only reason we use it.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Don in SJ said:

How about plotting finds? That the only reason we use it.

I only ever plotted finds when I hunted fields, those days are long gone, and now hunt almost exclusively small sites in the woods and just not much reason to plot finds at such sites. As far as marking sites found, a pencil mark ID on a Topo map works just fine. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread