Got a taste of the Old West here in Kentucky today!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out with diggergirl today to hunt an old schoolhouse. We pounded the place hard, and it was raining on us the whole time and temps in the 40s. Digger found only a tick :tard: First tick of the year--so be careful folks, they are out. Here's a photo of our site:

site.jpg

At least digger didn't skunk me today like she has every time I have gone hunting with her this year. I half expected her to pull another Silver Dollar from a schoolhouse site today...but it wasn't meant to be.

At the end of our hunt, we had some brass sheet metal, bits and pieces of junk, cast iron schooldesk legs, etc...

I did get one really Fine signal (I was certain it was going to be a coin of some sort). It turned out to be this neat brass tag:

tag in hand.jpg

(So at that point, I was pleased that I'd gotten something Old and potentially Cool--more than I'd found since last Tuesday, due to my extended, Severe Finds Drought.)

Well...cleaning up the tag, it turns out that the tag is from a place Far away from here, and it is actually a darned cool find. 8)

Here's a photo of the tag cleaned up. It says "WIGGINS HOUSE 62 BAXTER SPRINGS," and I am assuming that it is a hotel keychain:

tag cleaned.jpg

It turns out that the Wiggins House Hotel was in Cherokee County, Kansas--over 550 miles away from where the tag was found--and that's 550 Interstate miles. :o

Here's a bit of history:

On November 7th 1870, a “fallen woman” by the name of Nellie Starr, who is listed in the Cherokee County census as operating a brothel, became involved in an argument with two Texas cattle drovers at the Wiggins House Hotel. She fired a pistol at one of the men. Marshal Seaman attempted to arrest Starr, but several more shots were fired and one of the Texans shot the marshal. Before Seaman died, he seriously wounded one of the suspects. During the shooting, the owner of the Wiggins House was wounded and the hotel caught on fire. Marshal C. M. Taylor was appointed by Mayor J. R. Boyd to succeed Seaman. On June 29, 1872, Mayor Boyd shot and killed Marshal Taylor in a dispute.

(http://www.kslawenforcementmemorial.org/Letter List/S.htm)

Here's another account of the incident, from the Utica NY Daily Observer--dated Tuesday, Nov.29th 1870.

Utica NY Daily Observer Tuesday, Nov 29 1870.jpg

I am assuming that the hotel burned down--but I have no clue as to the dates of operation for the hotel. I'm hoping that one of you Kansas folks might have access to a business record somewhere that could give me an idea of a date range for the hotel.

Anyhow, I'm thrilled. First certified piece of the old west that I've managed to recover. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: The Brigade gets a little taste of the Old WEST here in Kentucky.

Yea the rain and temps suck, but great finds buckles as always :thumbsup:

Cw

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Very cool old tag. Well worth the cold and rain. :thumbsup:
I can't believe those ticks are out already! :o
Looks like you ended your "can't find a thing" streak buddy. ;D
Congrats,
MM

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a nice old fob/tag.

I love those types of finds. They are better than coins.

HH Jer

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice find,Glad you all was able to find something good while hunting in todays rain.

:thumbsup:,
NT

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and story as usual BB. Too wet in Tennessee to hunt today. You can change your name to Cowboy now!!! HH.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Really cool tag BuckleBoy.

And I know what you mean about the ticks. I had one about a week ago that was well attached to my side before I noticed the pain and bump. I had to have my wife twist it out of me, and man that spot hurt like heck for about a day. I still have a bump there, and I'm pretty sure she got the whole thing out - I don't think its head snapped off inside of me (at least I hope not - she flushed it before I had a chance to look at it real close).

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Baxter Springs has always been a rough town.Back in the late 40's and 50's,the town guys would show up in Joplin on fri and sat nights and the fights were on.In '60,I was in the AF and hitchhiking from KC to Austin,Tx.I got caught without a ride in Baxter Springs,it was cold and raining.About 11pm I saw the local cop and asked him if I could come to the station for the night.He took all my ID and put me in THE cell with a drunk that was sick,probably because I was a MO boy.God awful smell,so I didn't sleep any and true to his word,the cop,he took me back out to the hwy the next morning.I think that cell was one of the original ones.It was old rock and looked liked it had been there forever,may have been 6ft square.I think about that night everytime I hear the name of that place.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I am tickled that you got out, dug and found something cool...except for the tick:( But just think DG, you've just 'bout cleansed all the bad diggin' mojo for the entire year.

And my hat's off to you 2...we opted to do a little arch. salvaging...in downtown shops. I'm blaming it on the extreme digging of the past 2 days and NOT the drinks!!!!

By the way...thanks for the fun!!!!!

Digging in the dirt is always good for the soul!

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, and a good story. HH....

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very nice job buckle boy! I love the tag!!!! I have been on a severe finds drought myself. I havn't found any keepers since February 28th. I am trying not to complain because it is still really fun to go with my hunting buddy JuJu! :) Hope you find more goodies! :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BB,
Very cool old tag. Well worth the cold and rain. :thumbsup:
I can't believe those ticks are out already! :o
Looks like you ended your "can't find a thing" streak buddy. ;D
Congrats,
MM

Baby Steps. Baby Steps. And I'll be back to BeltPlateville in no time. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread