KEY DATE INDIAN HEAD PENNY

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday to a campsite spot that I've hunted before and after hunting for a couple hours I had found a decent General Service without a shank, a nice .69 and a modern bullet. Scanning around a area that juts out near a lake I found a penny and thought it to be just an ordinary Indian Head until I got it home and saw that it was one of the rarest Indian Head dates of "1870". It seems to be in pretty good condition once I clean it up it should grade in the Good range I would think. Presently that range on the PCGS is around $100-$200 maybe more but probably not.

" 1870 Indian Head BN 60 200 400 ▲600 ▲675 ▲775 1,000 1,500 2,350 "

Found a couple more pieces of lead afterward and a nice brass nail :P but the Indina Head was the highlight!
I dont care how many times a spot has been hunted, I know in my experience that I can go back to a spot and grid it a different way and scan a different direction and I still come up with stuff, and I've hit this spot probably over 10 times.
MD Pics 414.jpg
Indian Head.jpg
MD Pics 416.jpg

Upvote 0

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: KEY DATE INDIAN HEAD PENNY!

Congrats on an awesome find! diggin a key date coin must be an awesome feeling!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice IH :thumbsup: just found my 1st yesterday way to go ;D

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those I.H are a neat finds. I hope to find some this year or one. :clock:

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.

i would give it a P for poor. Maybe 100.00. Dont want to bust your bubble.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civil war hunter said:

Yeah, you may be right, but hey still $100.00 ;D :wink:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

{Sentinel} said:
civil war hunter said:

I'm not sure what you should do with that penny unfortanely it has alot of bubble which in peroxcide I would think they would turn into pits... Man do I wish that came out of the ground in better shape for ya....

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You must have a nice feeling when you find a key date like that. Just waiting for my turn on a key date....Matt

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
{Sentinel} said:
civil war hunter said:

I'm not sure what you should do with that penny unfortanely it has alot of bubble which in peroxcide I would think they would turn into pits... Man do I wish that came out of the ground in better shape for ya....

Yeah, I do too but it is just a plus anyway. I certainly was impressed by the mid range prices for this coin. Even in poor condition it demands much more than several other coins in great shape that I have found.....It was just by chance that I looked at the date....I was happy with the .69 and the Eagle for my Relic cases. Actually, the crust you see on it is common here in Hampton Roads area and is primarily calcium... comes off fairly easily with some Soft Scrub

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Very Nice! I hope to find a key date Indian like that someday. Great CW relics too. You are da' man!!! :thumbsup:

Baldingboy

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
If thinking in terms of percentages, that penny has done a good job of increasing in value.

That will fill a good gap in the Whitman folder, and you can sleep better at night knowing that you found a dirty penny worth a hundred bucks.

;D Doubt it, as said, it was just a plus....I'm out for Civil War relics mostly but take the coins as they come....in the end, it IS a dirty penny worth $100 ;D :wink:..........better than a dirty penny worth a penny ;D ;D :wink:

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i have only dug 5 wheats and they are 41,42,44,37 and 1919 only heave 4 ndn heads 1 was a gift the other 3i got at the coin shopno dug ndnheads yeti cant wait to dig one though and of course to date at least 4.00 worth of clads

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i cant wait ti did one of those, i dont care what date i just want a IH
nice find, who care how much its worth!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dank said:
wow i cant wait ti did one of those, i dont care what date i just want a IH
nice find, who care how much its worth!

Thats true :wink: :wink: Some people do get wrapped up in the monetary value but that's never been my concern as I keep all my finds. This was just a plus to the hunt ;D :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh,
YOU da Man!!! Congrats on that key date IH :icon_king: , and your CW relics are fantastic too. :thumbsup:
A great hunt indeed.
-Doug-

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You found a key date IH; you're not responsible for its condition. We all want our finds to be pristine, but copper usually doesn't cooperate. It's not worth what it could have been, but I notice I have an empty spot at 1870 in both of my Indian head albums. Enjoy it!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, buddy! :thumbsup:

I have only one 1870 IH to my name, and it is in Awful condition.

So I'm glad you got a better one. 8)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions