knights templer sword (help)

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
i just inherited this sword today but i have allways like it. i didn't know what it was or about until today where i seen the large KT on it and the light bulb went off in my head it also has the cross and crown , the skull and cross bones and a few other things words i cant make out and a name it is i believe MAY RINSLAND i think but i was wondering if anyone has come across anything like this be for id like to know what it was used for how much its worth and is it important to anyone my family has had it for 20 years or so thats about all i know of ill post some pictures for you'll thanks for your time and help happy and safe hunting

Attachments

• 040630010310.JPG
    040630010310.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 636
  • 040630010324.JPG
    040630010324.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 642
  • 040630010346.jpg
    040630010346.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 632
  • 040630010434.JPG
    040630010434.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 642
  • 040630011028.JPG
    040630011028.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 625
  • 040630011108.JPG
    040630011108.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 619
Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Being interested in the knights templar myself I find your sword to be facinating. I have to say that the first place to begin would be to find an antiquties expert in the field of swords and armor. Good luck in your "quest" and keep us posted! HH! Chris

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
WOW -- neat looking piece -- Looks like something that would be perfect to bring to the Antiques Road Show ! ::)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
one sold on e-bay about a month ago for a couple hundred, but it looked much newer and in my opinion had the good chance of being a reproduction....your sword look to be quite aged, alot older looking than a german dagger from ww2 i had and also alot older looking than a civil war parade sword i once had.....you definantly need a expert to check it out............nice peice of family history, and i would be very proud to have had it handed down to me.....................gldhntr

OP
OP
dragon6banger

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
thanks for the info guys i just saw one on ebay myself but it looked like it just came out of a box or just made. i do know this sword is at least 20 years old i can remember that far back any how it is a nice piece either way i guess i did think about taking it to a sow or something ill keep you informed thanks again

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Dragon,
There are some real experts on here, so they may be able to offer a better idea. I would try two things; first I would get some high-quality paper and make sevearl "rubbings" of the entire sword. This will frequently allow you to see things that are indistinguishable on the original. second try looking at it under a blacklight.(CAREFUL!!Don't look at the blacklight long or shine it on your skin) This also can help in seeing very faint lines.
Your sword could be one of the "Map Pointers" that are occasionally associated with KT treasure...or it could just be a fantastic thing to have in its own right.
Even if nothing comes up under deep scrutiny, that's an awesome thing to have.
grizzly bare

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have a similar sword i inherited through my father. it was his mothers adopted fathers. i believe it dates to around the turn of the century (1900 or thereabouts) and was a dress sword used in ceremonies.ive seen them in antique stores from between 100 and 200 dollars but i would never part with mine! to me it is priceless!

dogtree97

Oct 7, 2005
Pensacola
Look at the blade where it inserts into the hilt...the manufacturer's name is sometimes etched there. Or it might be etched on the top part of the scabbard. I've collected swords for 10 years and, with that information, might be able to help identify it.

Calico Jack

Sep 20, 2005
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Nana's on the money.

I am also an avid collector of sharp objects and the injuries that come with them. It looks to me like a ceremonial Freemason's sword. I don't know a great deal about the Masons, but I do know they use Templars imagery. Without an indication of the manufacturer, it's tough to say how old it is.

Here is a link to a rather similar example.
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/yr_sword.htm

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool sword, good luck on the id.

OP
OP
dragon6banger

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
that was 2 great links thanks for the info I'll try and do a transfer or something to get some more detail from the sword someone else told me to use carbon paper on it i may try this. i tried the paper and pencil trick with no luck ill let everyone know what turns up when i find out and thanks so much happy and safe hunting

b1pw3ha

May 17, 2005
Pittsburgh-Pa
What you have there is indeed a knights templars sword.
knights templars are just another branch of freemasonary just like the shriners are.
I have acouple of those swords as well as swords from the blue lodge. They aren't worth anything except to the person who owns it. Unless you can prove that that sword was once owned by a well known mason it's only worth about $100 to $200.
Enjoy your sword as much as the orignal owner did.

b1pw3ha

May 17, 2005
Pittsburgh-Pa
I guess I should also add that all the symbols on the sword have meaning. LOL, you aren't going to find any hidden treasure with it as Grizzly bare stated. It's just a cerimonal sword with symbols of the craft on it.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
That's a real awesome sword there. I hope it's the "one"....... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Jake,
I'm far from an expert on black lights, but I do know that there is more than one kind (different wavelengths possibly?) The cheap__s kind sold at stores like Spencer's in most malls and the kind used for industrial purposes. I'm assuming that this pertains to the stronger type. If a person stares at a blacklight too long, the rays/emissions can cause damage to the cornea. Prolonged exposure to the skin is worse than long term tanning and can lead to melanoma.(skin cancer)
Google black light and dangers and see the number of entries that pop up.
Scary as all get out

grizzly bare

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hmm i guess the industrial ones do pose some danger. But i imagine the cheap little ones from walmart are fairly harmless. Still, too much of anything isnt good ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread