Pics of the rocks

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Here they are:? Sorry they are so dark but i took them when it was like getting dark and i was way out in the woods, almost got lost in the dark out there :o? Notice one looks like a wall of rocks on a rock, another looks kinda like two rows of rocks, another is a small circle, another surrounds a tree.? Thanks for lookin ;)? ? ?

Attachments

• rockpiles.JPG
    rockpiles.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 462
  • rockpiles (1).JPG
    rockpiles (1).JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 470
  • rockpiles (3).JPG
    rockpiles (3).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to get in the spirit of HELLoween maybe a pet cemetary of sort(S)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• indexlight.jpg
    indexlight.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 414
  • indexlighter.jpg
    indexlighter.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 412

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Piles of Rock Like That everywhere in the woods around here.

Unless their Indian Burial Sites, I'd say Someone Clearing Land.

IF I had the Energy I'd DIG a few & find Out.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

I vote for a farmer clearing his fields, but you never know.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
hmm but why wouldnt he make one big pile or move them to the side, because the way they are they would be in the way of plowing and planting and such...maybe they are dumped out of a wheel barrow? they are about that size :)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up in nearby Connecticut, my buddy and I have found a few old trash dumps that look alot like those rockpiles Jake. They're worth checking out, may give up some old bottles or relics! Good luck!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, hope you find something. Good luck on your spot.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not saying this is the same thing as your rock piles but... in the Big Cypress Preserve, Florida ?were I hunt I have wondered about similar rock piles everywhere. Some of them are graves, and others are old campsites. But most of them occur naturally. It took me years to figure it out. During our many storms a tree will fall and the roots will bring rocks up with it. Years pass, the tree will rot away and a pile of rocks will remain.

A

AK in KY

JakePhelps said:
hmm but why wouldnt he make one big pile or move them to the side, because the way they are they would be in the way of plowing and planting and such...maybe they are dumped out of a wheel barrow?? they are about that size :)

Jake - You don't plow and plant in the woods. LOL The rocks are most likely from clearing a place where you do plow and plant. I would hunt any nearby open field. Thats where they lost the money. Good Luck

AK in KY

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake!

You are not in YOUR woods! Those pictures depict that you are in Alabama.....in my back yard! :D

....I have some rock piles in the woods where I live as well. And next to the woods is the pasture. So...I'm thinkin they are probably right about the farm idea. They had to put them somewhere....I guess if they didn't build a house with them... they tossed them in the woods! :D Sounds logical to me....

Nana ;)

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Ah, but you are missing one thing! The woods may be woods now....but was it always? I dont think so! There is wells and such and also there are some apple trees and an ocassianal bucket for apples or honey/sap. All of the woods was definetly cleared at one point except for a few select old trees wich remain. Some parts of the woods have probably been allowed to grow back for over 100 years, while some close to the older houses have only had 50 years to grow back :) Going out to detect the piles again right now, in all metal mode.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you find something good Jake!!!!!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Found some interesting relics on all metal mode, ill post them tonight after i clean em up :)

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
I'd say the rock piles are from clearing. Are there a lot of large trees in the area, or are they rather scattered with lots of new growth (5 to 6 inch) filling in the gaps? The reason for numerous piles rather than one large one....why carry these rocks to one pile a fair distance away when there appears to be a few spots nearby that would be unworkable, say, next to a large tree or buried boulder?
Just a thought.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Yea, you are probably right akakronn :) Some of the piles are near really big trees. Most of the area has smaller trees though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread