BLING...BLING...AND THEN MORE BLING AT EARLY 1900s HOMESTEAD

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is by far the best day ever for me...I've been very fortunate in the 10 years or so that I have devoted to this hobby. But, never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would be so lucky. Here's the story in abbreviated form. I don't wanna bore you all with all the details.

Several days before the day of the hunt, I had met a gentleman at a local book store while I was casually reading some material on metal detecting. Our conversations quickly changed and I soon found out that he owned several older homes in the area north of where I live out in the country away from the city. I almost didn't get up the nerve to ask but I went ahead and asked if he would mind if I came over one weekend to spend some time metal detecting. He was very nice and told me I could hunt his property anytime. I even offered to split anything of value that I did find. He said he didn't care about that at all. Boy was I pumped about that !!!

I arrived yesterday morning early at the entrance to the property which was gated but he told me I could have free run of the property. I was amazed to find most of the house still intact but was a bit spooked about entering the old house which I didn't do this trip. I concentrated my efforts to the outside of the house. I worked the front entrance of the house all the way out to the street which took several hours..and the only thing I had to show for it were the three balls (Musket balls ???) not sure what these are at all, but the two bigger ones are very heavy, the other is light in weight. I was really getting disappointed ..no coins at all which is what I had on my mind in hopes of finding. I worked back down the side of the house towards the back ..still nothing. I got to the rear of the house. There were several old fruit trees that had since died off, but were still standing. I worked the whole area from the back steps out to the edge of the old fruit trees. I had a very strong signal at the base of one of the trees and it measured 4 inches on my Garrett GTAx 1000 (I forgot to bring my Whites MXT with me ...drat drat drat) Anway, I dug down about 4 inches and started hitting pieces of plastic. I stopped and widened the hole around the area afraid I might damage what was in the hole not knowing what was there. Slowly I dug through all the plastic and saw a red pouch. Evidently the pouch had been wrapped ..I mean double triple wrapped with the plastic. Whoever buried it wanted to keep out everything I guess. Finally I got the red pouch out of the hole and it was a bit heavy. Then was when my heart skipped several beats. I prayed to myself please let this be good... LOL It's good I was alone or someone would have thought I was totally off the deep end. I opened the pouch which was in perfect condition and inside were all the rings. I sat down, took a deep breath and thought to myself...I gotta show these to the owner of the property. I can't in all honesty not say anything. I got back up and began to work the hole area again thinking maybe there may be something I missed...and surely there was...the last photo at the bottom was the final ring..loose in the bottom of the hole and covered with hard dirt...I decided then it was time to go. I'd had enough excitement for a lifetime.

I got home, showed the wife..of course the first thing she did was check to see if they would fit her fingers....too small...DRAT !!! LOL Anyway I called and got hold of the property owner ..his comment was ..did you find anything good ??? I said did I ever. The next day I went by his home and had to show him what I had found. He was truly amazed..I asked him how he wanted to split up all the rings..his comment ???? I don't want em ..you keep em !!!! That was the icing on the cake !!!!! YEEEEEEEEEHAWWWW is all that came out of my mouth all the way home. I've got an open invitation anytime I want to come out to his property to hunt again. Wow, what an experience!!! I'm not a bit discouraged that the rings are missing some stones because I tested all the rings and all the stones are REAL !!!!! and the rings are gold.

Just wanted to share this with all of you. Hope all of you have a day like I had. It's truly an experience of a lifetime.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

Attachments

• Rings1.jpg
    Rings1.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • MusketBalls???.jpg
    MusketBalls???.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Rings3.jpg
    Rings3.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Pouch.jpg
    Pouch.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Rings9.jpg
    Rings9.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Rings8.jpg
    Rings8.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,205
  • Rings6.jpg
    Rings6.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Rings5.jpg
    Rings5.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • Rings4.jpg
    Rings4.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,224
Upvote 0

Jeannie

Nov 22, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / Viper Trident
WOW. That is awesome. I can only imagine the story behind someone burying those rings, they are very beautiful. :icon_sunny:

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It that's what you find the first time out there......than the chests of gold and silver should be next...

See all you got to do is ask..... :o

Great finds..........I'm jealous........................ :thumbsup:

:wav: :wav: :wav:

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
WOW.....You got some really old rings in there. A couple appear to have rose-cut diamonds. That would date them to the 1800's. I hate to tell you this, but one ring appears to be costume. It looks to have Avon stamped on the inside of the shank. Also there is obvious wear to the plating. All the other rings are appearing to be real. I wonder what the story is behind them being buried. The pouch does not appear to be more than a few years old...tops. Interesting!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Great finds and a cool story!
I got excited myself when you lifted out that bag and said it was heavy. I can only imagine what was going through your head.
Mike

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rockyredbarron,
I resized the pictures so they fit.

A wonderful cache !!
great find and hopefully not your last.

Attachments

• indexCAYEX3N3.jpg
    indexCAYEX3N3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 950
  • indexCAMI2QO3.jpg
    indexCAMI2QO3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 950
  • indexCAJ84ZBE.jpg
    indexCAJ84ZBE.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 955
  • indexCAAY6B60.jpg
    indexCAAY6B60.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 960
  • indexCA227O0T.jpg
    indexCA227O0T.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 960
  • indexCA8G214F.jpg
    indexCA8G214F.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 966
  • indexCA05LO81.jpg
    indexCA05LO81.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 974
  • indexCA2P4CX3.jpg
    indexCA2P4CX3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 981
  • indexCAWWNZIG.jpg
    indexCAWWNZIG.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 942
OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Old Dog for that. I guess my camera reset to default cuz the photos were huge. Haven't gotten used to the camera yet. Gotta remember to reset everything when I change the battery DUH........ and Thanks to all for the nice comments. I agree..if only I knew the reason or reasons for burying those rings there. The AVON ring looks older itself ....perhaps 20+ years.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure did fine the pot of gold there. I proably would have gone home to change my pants. Now I can not wait to see what you find next.....Matt

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Super finds and yes wow!

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know from the photo I posted if these are musket balls ???

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread