Todays Finds From the Woods

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Was a really nice day so i decided to go detecting for a bit. Set it to all metal mode and was glad i did cause i got a few nice relics! Got a hook thats really old and looks like it was used to hang a pot over the fire with, got a hatchet or axe that says "collins" on it in a square. Also got a square nail with a round, cuped head and 2 shotgun shells, one winchester repeater and one unreadable :-\ Also got a random metal whatsit ill post tomarow. Thanks for looking ;)

Attachments

• Hook.JPG
    Hook.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Collin\'sHatchet.JPG
    Collin\'sHatchet.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Doing some research on the hatchet i found it could be as old as 1826 and in 1966 the company moved overseas. ?Anybody know anything else about the Collins Co?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

nice artifacts.

I have found several axe heads in the wood and I have always wondered; the heads are rusted now but seem to have been in good shape, why would someone leave it just because the handle is busted?

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Yep, im glad i dug those iron hits ;D

I think the same thing sherman! i mean i have 5 or 6 of these now and all of them could be easily fixed....this one just has a minor stress crack on one side and also it needs a new handle. I think it was a kid who broke it and left it out here sometimes before 1966 because i found a few round nails with some kind of wood still attached to them. No non-ferrous metal there though :-\ thought maybe i had found a treehouse but it dosnt look that way.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Very cool finds! The ax head looks really old and the hook is neat too! Good Job.

Happy Hunting!

Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread