No Cash Value :<(

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
I was very lucky when I first started MDing back in April 2005. In my first week I hit a sidewalk tear- out and found my first silver Washington Quarter and a few hours later, at a second sidewalk site, I found my first Wheatie and IH and this particular item. It was and still is a small puzzle because I could not figure it?s purpose in a small town like mine. I put it aside as one of those oddities and went on with my detecting over the months ahead.

In a previous post I told of recently getting permission to sweep the grounds of two houses in my town . . . one was to be burned and the other to be moved . . . . . maybe. The move date was Nov 1 and they haven?t even started yet.

Well the move still seems to be a mystery and I had swept the area of the other house quite well so the past few days I decided it was time to detect the grounds of this second house. It wasn?t going real well and my finds were slim but yesterday as I was sweeping over one particular area right in front of the front porch I got what seemed to be multiple coin signals in one small area. It seemed I could not pinpoint one spot without seeming to find another.

I decided, since the property was going to be torn up pretty good in the near future, I could afford to dig a somewhat bigger hole and maybe make a mess. When I seemed to have one signal pretty well isolated I dug my first hole and I found my second find of the same puzzling item I had found on my first day. Needless to say, because of the condition of both of them, I was pleased, even if I didn't know what they were used for. Then I dug my second signal, and my third, fourth and fifth!

Within about three feet, at about 2-3 inches I found five (5) excellent tokens to bring my total of that one item to six (6). They are in near perfect condition and I have no idea what they were used for but they sure are nice. When I saw the first one, while it was still covered with dirt, all I could make out was the faint image of the circle of stars around the rim and faintly the eagle in the center. For a moment I thought I might actually have some sort of rare, old or unusual coin. But it was not to be, not yet.

I still have not connected my scanner to my latest computer so I have attempted to take a decent picture of all six (6) tokens and will insert it below. I attempted to insert part of this (the first token) after my first paragraph above because I thought I had seen others do it but failed so this pic shows all. I'm still learning the picture tricks here. :-[

Anyone got a clue what they may have been used for? They are either copper or brass in appearance and just a tad bigger than a nickel.

Hobo

Attachments

• No Cash Value 01.jpg
    No Cash Value 01.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 730
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GAME TOKENS.

Maby even SLOT MACHINE tokens to Get Around The Laws.

COOL FINDS

Jeff

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
Video game tokens would be my guess. I've got one just like that around here somewhere.
Cool to find a bunch of them together like that though. Sort of a mini-cache.

OP
OP
da Hobo

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
OMG, gambling in my old hometown!! I'm shocked! ;D

That was sort of my guess also but they sure are in good shape and then to find five in such a small area. Someone must have hit the jackpot and dropped the excess.

Everything from that area so far as been 1920 to 1983-4 so far. Just never know what you'll find, do you? But still no silver. >:( The mystery continues . . .

Hobo

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW Hobo!

How neat!

And six of 'em!

Nana ;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very cool,, and six of them too, WTG!!!
I have one I found a while back,,, no clue as to what they were used for, as with most of the rest here, I would say somekind of gaming tokens. If ya find out any info on them , Please update the post...
I need the info for my website... ;D
By the looks of the one I found I wouldn't think they were very old, but ya never know...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Here is the one I found, and also one similar that might help with the ID?

Attachments

• NoCash1.jpg
    NoCash1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 578
  • Freedom1.jpg
    Freedom1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 322

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Ah, arcade tokens..............ah the memories............... ;D Keep on swingin'

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread