Silver problem

I'm having trouble finding silver coins, can you please tell me what depth I should be looking at?

• 1-3 inches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-5 inches

• 5-6

• 7 or more

• Total voters

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Yea, I'm having problems finding silver coins too. ::) Probably 95% of the people on here have the same problem. Silver coins are not limited to a particular depth. Finding silver is the exception not the rule. Especially if you hunt public areas.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anywhere from Lying on top of the ground to Deeper Then Any Detector will Go
as Sweeper Suggested.

? ?you Just Have To Keep Looking

BY THE WAY, WHY are you Ignoring DEEPIES ?

By Doing so, Your Cutting The Odds WAY down of Finding Silver & other Old Coins.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't dig deeper than 4" because I have only a cheap garden shovel!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an EASY FIX ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Finding silver is first about location - place has to have been used say prior to 1960's in order for the odd of it having silver. Next is that your odds are better if it's not in an area where a lot of people have Metal Detectors(where I live). This does not mean you can't find silver in old "hunted out" places. It just means you have to search longer and harder. Even then no guarantees.

As for depth. In "good" soil - humus, fertile, soft dirt any coin that has been dropped 30-40 years ago will sink until it hits "denser" soil - ie clay or rocks,roots, etc. In my mother's yard it's about twelve inches. More typical in my yard it's about 3-4 inches. I have found silver at 1 inch in hard, dense soil(rocks) as well as down to 6-7 inches.

Best places to look are private old residences that were built prior to 1960 and have never been searched. Good luck and dig deep if necessary!

Bob

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Do you have a pic of your garden trowel? I have a chear 2 dollar one from ocean state and i can easily dig 7 inches even in soil full of roots.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slow sweeper said:
? ? Yea, I'm having problems finding silver coins too.? ::) Probably 95% of the people on here have the same problem.? Silver coins are not limited to a particular depth. Finding silver is the exception not the rule. Especially if you hunt public areas.

LOL!

That's about it too!

You just have to "pay your dues" so to speak, and keep searching until you come across some!

HH

Lonewolfe

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right behind gold , silver is the most desired find and there is more of it. If you were detecting a site and only had 4 hours and you would probably not return how would you hunt it? Answer Cherry pick. Set up your machine to give only good signals probably silver and leave the border line stuff there too maximize your results. If your site has been searched a lot there will be an absence of silver. All said detecting like in real estate is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Ed Donovan

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slow sweeper said:
? ? Yea, I'm having problems finding silver coins too.? ::) Probably 95% of the people on here have the same problem.? Silver coins are not limited to a particular depth. Finding silver is the exception not the rule. Especially if you hunt public areas.

All summer long I have not found any 90% silver only a 35% silver war nickle. I think sometimes my detector can't pick up silver hits. You have to be 3"-4" close to the coil in mid-air with a 90% silver dime for it to pick it up and thats without the ground. I don't understand :( ...
I think its location, location, location and a good detector!

goldencoin said:
I can't dig deeper than 4" because I have only a cheap garden shovel!

I can dig as deep as the length of my arm with my little 4"-5" Spade. (garden shovel)

Keep @ it and HH!!

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't vote in the poll. The reason I did not vote, is it would only allow me to select two options. I have found silver coins in all of those listed depth ranges. I have found barber coins and early mercury dimes as shallow as 1 to 1.5 inches deep. I have found roosevelt dimes at 5-7 inches. The deepest silver coins I found, one was a 1917 mercury dime and the other was an 1826 1/2 franc, both at 9 inches. There is no set depth at which you are going to find certain types of coins, because it depends alot on the area you are hunting, the use of the area, the decomposition of the leaves, grass etc that make new soil as it decays. Too many factors. And for the record, I have also found older coins laying right on top the group, without even using a detector.

Anthony

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted 3-5 inches only because that's where I've found most of mine but my oldest silver (1812 Reale) was actually found about 3ft above the ground, Honest! On top of a pile of dirt that was removed from sidewalk construction! Sweet!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginItUp said:
? actually found about 3ft above the ground,

which makes me wonder now. what if someone Dropped a Gold Chain 100 years ago in the woods, & it Caught in a Tree That Was Just a Foot Tall at the Time. (OR it got Tangled in a Tree While Pushing Thru Thick Brush)

? ?I'd Wager Somewhere there is a 100Ft. or Taller Tree Somewhere With A Gold Chain Hanging in the Top of It? ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
DigginItUp said:
? actually found about 3ft above the ground,

which makes me wonder now. what if someone Dropped a Gold Chain 100 years ago in the woods, & it Caught in a Tree That Was Just a Foot Tall at the Time. (OR it got Tangled in a Tree While Pushing Thru Thick Brush)

? ?I'd Wager Somewhere there is a 100Ft. or Taller Tree Somewhere With A Gold Chain Hanging in the Top of It? ;D

LOL!

Good thought Jeff,

I bet that's a good possibility!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Yep, silver is at all depths... This Mercury dime I found today was at 6", but the Walking Liberty Half I found awhile back was only at 2" down. ya can't always go by the depth. The hard part is telling the silver, clad, or any other good target from the trash, which is easier said then done...

If you' ve been detecting the same place for quite awhile, and not finding goodies, it may be time to find some new places to hunt...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
90 % of my dimes come between 4 and 5.5 inches due to the topsoil only being so deep before it hits clay where I do most of my hunting. Only in one area have I expected them to be between 6 inches and china. I used a trowel once, then I found a butcher knife and have used it every since. It works for me but something like the 39 dollar letche (spelling?) would be better.

Like they said Location is key. The 1st thru 8th school I went to which was a high school when my parent attend has never given my anything but clad, which I don't understand. The school I graduated from has given me a WL, sheild nickle, several buff, bunches of wheats and silver dimes. I watched and old guy dig until I go nervous as a newbie at hunting to recover a merc at 8 inches with an old blue whites detector on the same grounds.

If you know someone who lives in the oldest residential area near you where all the yards were kept up and the Ice Cream Man came along once in the while, thats a good location. Its for sure there is silver nearby if it was built in the 30s 40s. There are many other kinds of locations but not as many of them as there are these types of yards.

My opinion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions