My first sword and three Barbers!!Updated with pics of markings. I.D. help?

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Did an old park last weekend with my dad,my uncle and my brother.We did pretty good with a total of six silver dimes,4 V nickles and numerous indian head pennies and one wheat,I think. We went back today,minus my uncle who was sick but we took my brothers friend Dan32981 who is,by the way, now my friend too.Got to the park fairly early and started hunting. Running low discriminate so as not to pass up any gold or other ferrous metal relics,I dug a nail and then a couple bullet shells, then bang a sweet signal came eminating from my trusty little 1225X. Dug a plug and flopped it over,checked the hole,nothing there.Checked the plug,there it is a 1901 Barber dime in sweet shape. Re-checked the plug and hole,all clear. Then I noticed some dirt that had came off the plug as I flopped it out. Ran my coil over it and bang, a 1905 Barber dime! Two silver dimes in the same hole,Gotta love it! In the mean time little bro's diggin' IHP's and V nickles then Bang,he snags a gold ring with initials on it!
Around 11:00 I got a big overload signal by what appears to be an old cellar hole and almost didn't go for it because it was so close to the foundation but I could feel my coil bouncing up off from something hard under the pine needles and leaves.I reached down, cleared the leave and needles and saw part of something that appeard to be brass.I grabbed it and tried to pull it striaght up but I could feel it was bound by roots over the top of it. So I pulled it it straight back horizontally with the ground and it came out like a sword coming out of a scabbard. Guess what it was a sword!!! My first ever!!! Dan, who was about 50 feet away, saw me pull it out and said he saw my do a little happy dance.I don't recall it but I would say I probably did because I was totally thrilled with this find!!! When I showed it to my dad he recognized the broken end and said I dug this and left it because I only saw the broken blade end and thought it was just junk. Thanks dad!!!
We went to lunch and came back and I bet I wasn't at it 20 minutes and I got a sweet little signal on the slope going down to the river,dug a plug, flipped it, and out fell a 1912 barber dime in sweet shape,YEE HA what a day!!!
Thanks for reading and if anyone could help me with an I.D. on the sword it would be much appreciated. Good luck to all,
Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• MVC-022F.JPG
    MVC-022F.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,554
  • MVC-023F.JPG
    MVC-023F.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 6,571
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 6,563
  • MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 6,548
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 6,534
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 6,502
  • MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 6,570
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My first sword and three Barbers!!! I.D. help anyone?

Holy smokes Bootstrap!!! :o Congrats on a unique banner find. :icon_king:
Those Barbers aren't too bad either. :wink: :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x

Thanks to everyone for the replies and congrats!! Also to our most gracious moderators for the banner nod, it is much appreciated. I'm so stoked right now!! After a long cold winter and waiting for the ground to thaw I've really been chomping at the bit.This was my first post of the season and it made the banner,holy crap I can't believe it!!! I can go right back to the spot but I already hit it good trying to find the tip or any other parts and there were none but thanks for the suggestion.Thanks for the I.D. help Danglangley and everyone else,you guys are all over it!! Any suggestions on cleaning it enough to find the markings without deminishing the value would be appreciated.
P.s. I'm gonna catch you on the silver
little bro'
Thanks again, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool sword CW or not!!!! Very nice barbers!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bootstrap vinn said:
little bro'

Let him get ahead of ya a bit on the silver..no biggie...you got that sweet Calif. gold coin and that is gonna be REAL tough to top..... :thumbsup: Glad to see ya out now that things are soft enough to dig!!!

kycanine

Jul 29, 2007
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awsome saber, Bootstrap. Congratulations on accomplishing a banner find!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To answer your cleaning question...

If it were me, I'd take a dremel tool with a steel brush attachment (not a brass brush), and carefully remove the rust from the blade--being Super careful not to scratch the brass in any way. Then once the rust is removed, look for markings, cover with a very thin--Very Thin--layer of crisco and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees or so.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional

WOW!! SUPER FANTASTIC FINDS!!
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FINDS AND GETTING BANNER!!
WOW!! INCREDIBLE!
Happy Hunting!!

John

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congrats on the banner, sweet dimes and I would still be doing the happy dance if I found a sword, shoot I am doing the happy dance for you right now anyway.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

Fantastic finds, Boot!!

I just now saw this post...been too busy reading the detector review forums. Man, you guys are just killing it out there. The barbers are fantastic and would make for a great season total for me, but the sword...dang. What can I say? You just seem to know that 1225 so well, and almost have a sixth sense about digging those large signals.

Way to go, my friend. Posts=1, Banner=1. 1/1=100% Banner. The pressure is on now...you've got a lot to live up to. And big competition from your younger brother.

MP

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AWESOME :thumbsup:

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25

Mainedigger said:
bootstrap vinn said:
little bro'

Let him get ahead of ya a bit on the silver..no biggie...you got that sweet Calif. gold coin and that is gonna be REAL tough to top..... :thumbsup: Glad to see ya out now that things are soft enough to dig!!!

I'll get a gold one this year. Watch out big bro!! LOL

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck of a find Bootsrap and congrats on your banner!! now I can't wait till it stops raining to get out. You got my blood boilling. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

This has to be the best find I have ever seen. Beautiful coins and an amazing civil war sword. CONGRATS! I am coming on the next hunt with you.

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

relichunters said:
This has to be the best find I have ever seen. Beautiful coins and an amazing civil war sword. CONGRATS! I am coming on the next hunt with you.

Congrats on the sword...and the silver! Cool finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread