New site pays but its work.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New site pays but it's work.

Tried a spot I'd never detected: a small town park near an 1803 bridge site, 1807 hotel and 1850 church. The pavilion area is a trash pile of bottle caps and pull-tabs, but also produced an 1906 Barber quarter and a 1927 wheat cent. I "X"ed the solid hits and dug anything repeatable and steady in the coin regions - and as you can see pulled more trash than coin. The bracelet was a Mk I Eyeball find.

I was using very little discrimination (6/100) and I may go back and mask out some trash ranges - one of those sites where you get six hits on every sweep of the coil. But any site that produces a Barber on the first quick visit will definately be on my short list for return engagements. I suspect the park has been detected before - most of what I found was shallow & recent. Nickels seem to be left behind - a trend our local detectorists appear to share or else I just have a knack for them. The older coins were in the worst trash spots right beside the picnic pavilion.

Attachments

• HPIM1359.JPG
    HPIM1359.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 554
  • HPIM1357.JPG
    HPIM1357.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 551
  • HPIM1361.JPG
    HPIM1361.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 548
Upvote 0

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New site pays but it's work.

Awesome finds! congrats on the silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup: im hoping to dig a silver quarter sometime this season :thumbsup: best of luck and HH

piratesgold

Apr 29, 2008
CT
Detector(s) used
White's M6

Barber is always worth the work

Lucky

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional

Congrats on the Barber Quarter and Wheat Cent!
Boy, you sure earned it with all the digging.
HH

John

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

great finds

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21

Keep working on that area. I recently started using a 4 inch coil and I was simply amazed how it helped with ground like you are describing. I also dig the repeatable signals and have had some nice keepers lately. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that there is multiple coins within a 6 foot circle where you found that barber....keep clearing it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions