Grand Slam!

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Made it out to the local park...... in spite of a rainy forecast I never saw a drop. I concentrated on some construction digs for the day and came away with 1883 Seated Dime, 1902O 1912D 1915 Barber Dimes, 1939D 1941 Mercs, 1954 1963D Roosies, 1904 Indian Cent and V Nickel, a pair of high grade Buffaloes - 1915D 1916, an old hotel token, and an old brass padlock. It sure was nice to see a lot of silver for a change and to come away with the Slam in dimes - almost impossible to do anymore out there. Take care and HH, Mike.

Attachments

• 03may09finds.JPG
    03may09finds.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 879
Upvote 0

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Very very nice finds, congrats!

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Mike,

The 1912 Barber is beautiful, and the total number of finds amazing. Congrats on the dime grand slam.

I just bought an EX2, and the seller forwarded a link to one of your articles. He also set up the detector for me, and most of his settings are the same as what you recommend. I'm looking forward to learning what this thing is trying to tell me.

MP

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! congrats on a great hunt! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i would love to see all that silver in 1 day. keep it up! best of luck and HH

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Awesome hunt Mike,
I think anyone would take a hunt like that.
They are some very nice keepers in that haul
Congrats on the silver slam in dimes :thumbsup:

fortbball9

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Great finds there for sure. Make me think that back in the early days of metal detecting this type of find would not have been as hard as it seems today. Can you imagine if you could go back to 1980 with a minelab E-trac or Explorer? The seated coins are hard to find.

Thanks for posting,

HH,

Dave

OP
OP
Mike Moutray

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
mountainplayer said:
Mike,

The 1912 Barber is beautiful, and the total number of finds amazing. Congrats on the dime grand slam.

I just bought an EX2, and the seller forwarded a link to one of your articles. He also set up the detector for me, and most of his settings are the same as what you recommend. I'm looking forward to learning what this thing is trying to tell me.

MP

Good luck with your new detector... you've got a great machine to use!

OP
OP
Mike Moutray

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
drodda777 said:
Great finds there for sure. Make me think that back in the early days of metal detecting this type of find would not have been as hard as it seems today. Can you imagine if you could go back to 1980 with a minelab E-trac or Explorer? The seated coins are hard to find.

Thanks for posting,

HH,

Dave

I was hunting this park in the late 1980's with a bounty hunter, and the seated coins seemed "plentiful" compared to today.
HH, Mike.

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, Congrats on your slam!!!!! Amazing bunch of nice coins!!!!!

HH Joe

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Nice assortment on the silver. The Barber is beautiful congrats!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on your slam Mike!! Sure don't seem them like you used too. The area you hunted, any dirt moved or just an area cleared and brush cleaned?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread