Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
All you need to do treasure hunting is a shovel and a screener (see photo). Total cost under $20. Anyone can be a backyard archeologist. And the best thing is, you'll probably find far more then you would if you used a $2,000 metal detector.

Just pick out a spot, peel back the sod, shovel and sift. Take it from me--you'll be shocked at what you'll find.

Today (see pictures) I returned to a hunted-out area where I?ve done very well in the past but now all my best machines say nothing is left. Since this is farming land and I have permission I plan to get everything still in the ground.

Today I selected my very best treasure finder, my screener and shovel combo.

I dug for a total of 1 hour or so and found loads of glass, square nails, pottery pieces, cast toy wagon wheel, and a solid silver monogrammed spoon!? I couldn't believe my eyes! I had hunted that spot at least 20 times! I have even rototilled it up and checked it with my Minelab. The spoon was right there all the time! All detectors missed it! This was the exact same spot where? I had found a coin cache last spring. The spoon was only 5 inches deep (approx.). It must have been pointing straight down so the detectors missed it.

I now plan to make a more automatic screener to use here and I?ll leave the detectors at home. I'm going to screen it all!

Can anyone read the monogram on the spoon?

Attachments

• treasurefinder1.jpg
    treasurefinder1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 447
  • treasurefinder2.jpg
    treasurefinder2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 487
  • treasurefinder3.jpg
    treasurefinder3.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
WOW, nice relics and a great idea! If I had the time I would give it a try. I've seen other forums where the serious relic people do that at old homesteads, amazing what you can find. I can't read the spoon, I'm bad at those ornate letters...

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
the spoon may have been on edge just as you show it...that may be why you missed it just a though
BTW great finds i may do that with my garden and in the process i will get rid of all them rocks

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! I used to do that when I was like 9 years old in my own backyard! I did for a couple days and found a whole bucketfull of nails, a hotwheel, and a brass pendant that says "Lucy" on it. Oh, well it was fun. ;D Keep excavating!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job!

HH

Lonewolfe

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Wow!! Amazing finds :o Is this area a dump or jsut a part of the feild? i found a cast iron toy wheel kinda like that, its in the top of the whatsit section.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SWR said:
Bend some back-to-back nineties on EMT for great rocker legs. Works great, and lasts long time. ;)

Here is a picture of a screen with EMT legs, screening at a 1830s Fort (that is me on the left with the two-box)

HH, Jim

Hi Jim, do you have a better close-up picture of your screener? It looks great. I'm looking for some plans to make one that's easier on the back.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JakePhelps said:
Wow!!? Amazing finds :o? Is this area a dump or jsut a part of the feild?? i found a cast iron toy wheel kinda like that, its in the top of the whatsit section.

It's just a plain field. I did research and found out there was once a horse stable and small wood framed church in that area. There also was a house but it burned down in the 1920's. I've found lots of door hardware and cookstove parts in that spot.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, thanks for sharing the idea! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread