A little silver from the neighbors yard **UPDATED: Ring owner found**

jrsweger

Jan 23, 2009
42.22°N 76.19°W
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505 Pro
I got permission to do a little hunting from my neighbor across the street. The house is much new than mine, probably built after 1960. I'm told the small corner lot where the house now sits used to be wooded. I worked through most of the front yard and a portion of the side yard. Of course I found the usual junk but I also found my first Standing Liberty. I scratched the crap out of a 1945 Silver Quarter (I got lazy) and I found a high school class ring (happens to be the same year I graduated but I didn't graduate from this school). There were three wheats, 1920, 1939 and a 1953. There were a few clad coins too plus two hunks of metal from a linotype machine (why here?). Oh, and part of an old Timex, it didn't take a licking and keep on ticking though!

I really need to work on getting permission on two other properties close by. I think they will both be worth the effort.

Attachments

• IMG_3099_small.jpg
    IMG_3099_small.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_3100_small.jpg
    IMG_3100_small.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_3101_small.jpg
    IMG_3101_small.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_3102_small.jpg
    IMG_3102_small.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_3104_small.jpg
    IMG_3104_small.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_3110_small.jpg
    IMG_3110_small.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 816
Upvote 0

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Re: A little silver from the neighbors yard

I'd say you need to get permission for those two places! Ya had a great hunt!

Congrats! NICE finds! :thumbsup:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Ouch on Mr. 1945! :'( Love the class ring and your other goodies......Way to get permission....Good luck at the other places as well! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice SLQ. I'm glad it didn't turn out like George.

fender346

Feb 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

man do i want one of those standing liberties!
great job

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You had a great hunt. Are you trying to find the owner of the class ring so you can return it......Matt

OP
OP
jrsweger

jrsweger

Jan 23, 2009
42.22°N 76.19°W
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505 Pro

mlayers said:
You had a great hunt. Are you trying to find the owner of the class ring so you can return it......Matt

I first looked through the phone book but didn't find the name listed. I knew a guy with the same last name that I worked with and I thought he might be related in some fashion but he passed away about 3 months ago so I was talking with one of my other neighbors (he is a teacher at the school) about the ring. When I showed it to him he said "I know this guy, we're related through marriage". Talk about dumb luck! We tried to call but didn't get an answer (no answering machine) so I'm going to keep trying.

I'm hoping he is happy it has been located if for nothing more than sentimental value. If he doesn't want it, I'll certainly keep it.

I can't wait to here the story on how it got lost.

OP
OP
jrsweger

jrsweger

Jan 23, 2009
42.22°N 76.19°W
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505 Pro

I still haven't been able to make contact with the owner, phone just rings and rings. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a wrong number. As it turns out, my daughter went to school with a girl with the same last name, just happens to be the guys daughter. My daughter passed along my cell number and she is supposed to give me a call and may give the ring to her father for Father's day. I think that would be pretty cool. I'd just like to know how the ring came to be lost and if he's happy to have it back. I suppose if she doesn't call I'll pursue trying to get an address and deliver it myself.

OP
OP
jrsweger

jrsweger

Jan 23, 2009
42.22°N 76.19°W
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505 Pro
A friend of mine from work told me he lived just up the road from the ring's owner. He was able to make contact with the wife who called me today. We just met and I gave her the ring. She didn't know too much about how the ring got lost but she did say that the owner had lost it about a month after he got the ring. I showed her where I found it and asked that if she was able to find out any more information to please let me know. She thought it was really cool that I found it. She did say that she was going to get with her daughter and see if she wanted to give it as a Father's Day gift.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Your persistence will be rewarded I'm sure! Way to go and thanks for updating your story. I'd love to find out if they do the Father's Day thing! Gosh, the look on his face will be priceless! :o :o :o

HH,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread