How big is your double eagle?

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
First let me say, this is NOT something I dug out of the ground, it's a front porch find... You can now hit the BACK button if you wish. :wink:

3 weeks ago I was asked by a young man to cook BBQ for his high school graduation party. Seeing as how I have known the lad since he was 4 I quickly said yes. The party started out as a gathering of 10-15 folks so I figured there would be no problem cooking for that amount. Wednesday of this week I was informed that there would be around 60 people there and his parents asked if I could handle it. Well, I have a big pit so no problem. Starting at 2:00 PM on Friday I cooked 2 briskets (14# each), 10 racks of ribs, 8 whole chickens and 10# of sausage. All of this had to be ready to eat at 3:00 PM on Saturday! I had no sleep on Friday night and was pretty much brain dead by the time we finished serving everyone on Saturday.

The party was fun and I'll never forget hearing the "little boy" I had watched grow up call out to his friends, "HEY, THE BEST BBQ YOU'LL EVER EAT JUST GOT HERE"!

Today my wife told me that our plans had changed and I was good to go do what ever I wanted and she was going shopping with her mother. We were supposed to go to another grad party. I went MDing while she was gone.

About 30 minutes ago I got a phone call from the folks I had cooked for and they asked if I had gotten what they left on the front porch under the mat. Well, since the wife and I go in and out of the house through the garage I said no. They told me to go look and then call them back. When I opened the case this critter is in I almost fell over!

The pics below show what I found and they told me that since the house was full and they were a bit frazzled yesterday they failed to give me this golden eagle... It is 8 ounces of .999 silver plated in 24k gold. Not worth a whole lot in dollars, but since the young lad I cooked for wanted me to have it it's now priceless!

This sucker is now in the show case and has quickly become my most cherished treasure. It's not everyday that an 18 year old recognizes what you love to collect and then gives you something to add to it!

P6070116.jpg

P6070119.jpg

P6070121.jpg

Yep, they've made millions of them, and it'll never be worth anything more than the silver value, but the fact that the little boy I remember, who is now 6 foot 3, weighs 315, and starts playing football in college on a full scholarship this next year, wanted me to have it makes it worth more than anyone can pay. (If they had a joyful tear smiley dude I would put it here.)

Grip

Upvote 0

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's the nice little things in the world that can make you feel the best...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions