I LIKE Old Campsites!

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Two days in a row hitting campsites by rivers nearby. Yesterday was on the Black River, pulled out almost $2, today along the Pecos, pulled out 63 cents in clad and this nifty ring! Inside, it says 14 KTGE. I'm figuring that means 14 carat gold embossed. Yes? No? It's in pretty bad shape, most of the gold plating is worn off and I highly doubt the large stone is a diamond, but I think the small ones (all 6 are in the ring!) are diamond chips. It was about 3" down. I got a TinyTec pinpointer in yesterday and WOW, what a help! The ring went off like a quarter, but when I dug it, I thought it was a bottle top because it was full of dirt. When I got it cleaned out, I had to sit down for a minute or three! My first serious ring. WOOHOO!!

HH, ya'll!

Attachments

• 11-13-05 Ring.JPG
    11-13-05 Ring.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0
L

lancemxt2006

it means 14 karat gold electroplate. hope that i could be of some help.

Nice find

HH lance

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Txk, I too have found some great finds near rivers & streams. I allways check the high ground and have walked into CW picket posts, old hunting & fishing camp sites. Good Luck & Good Hunting trk5capt...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find a thousand rings you'll never forget this one! Congratulations! Monty

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like them too IF I found that!

Nice find!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
TXKajun

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Thanks, ya'll. A few questions from a newbie detector.

Anyone have a good initial test and follow-up test for diamond/not diamond? I've been putting off seeing if the big stone in the ring will scratch glass or not.....don't know if I want it to or not...or maybe I just kind of like the idea of "It could be a diamond for all I know." LOL

If it's real, then where would I go about selling it?

Do you guys/gals pay for having a ring/stone appraised? If so, how much?

Thanks all and HH, ya'll!

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Congrats to you !! Nice find, HH Art...
Some Jewelers have an electronic device that has needle/pin point tip. He presses it on the stone. I believe it is basically a hardness test to see if it is a diamond or just a piece of cut glass.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good way to get an item appraised is to go to a reputable pawn shop. They pay (loan) a % of what it is worth so they will often tell you the worth of an item like jewelry. If you doubt the appraisal try a jeweler.

Ed Donovan

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Southcacalaky said:
Congrats to you !! Nice find, HH Art...
Some Jewelers have an electronic device that has needle/pin point tip. He presses it on the stone. I believe it is basically a hardness test to see if it is a diamond or just a piece of cut glass.
Actually I believe the tester checks the heat resistance to the stone. If it were to just test the hardness, then a diamond tipped awl would work. A real diamond absorbs the heat and the elect. tester registers how much heat has been absorbed. If you were to take a larger diamond and put it on your tongue, it would feel cold.

TXK, I believe you'll find that all the stones are synthetic however I've never thrown back any ring because it was less than real. Congrats on your 1st serious ring. You'll never forget that excitement. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions