Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This afternoon I checked out a site that I last detected more than three years ago. It is a homestead that goes back to the late 1700's. There is a lot of English Ivy covering the ground, so I used the 12 inch spider coil to compensate for the depth and swept above the ground. I tried fast recovery speed to try and get close to the iron. Both the old buckle and the tombac button were right next to iron. The tombac really had me fooled because the VDI was 26, which is dead on where the old style pull tabs fall. As you can see the tombac cleaned up very nicely using aluminum jelly.

The stone item was found in a nearby stream bed. It looks like a prehistoric golf club. There were quite a few on the site, as well as hollow stone halves. Are these artifacts or just random stone items?

I will have to wait until fall to return. The mosquitoes were overbearing, and the foliage is very thick.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• 2009_06120005a.JPG
    2009_06120005a.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 556
  • 2009_06120003.JPG
    2009_06120003.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 2009_06120004.JPG
    2009_06120004.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 559
  • 2009_06120008.JPG
    2009_06120008.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 549
  • 2009_06120005b.JPG
    2009_06120005b.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
nice cleanup on that tombac, neil.
wasn't nj connected to scotland back in the 1700's? That "golf club" could've been thrown right in to nj from st. andrew's after a bad round. Thank goodness for plate tectonics! dwayne

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:

I agree that it might be one, They are rather common in some of our areas, I know in the Mullica Hill section on Raccoon Creek I used to hunt for them, since inside some of them were beautiful crystals of Vivianite. http://www.mindat.org/locentry-11635.html I am not saying your piece is one containing Vivianite, just saying that I know weird shaped concretions are found in South Jersey and that luckily some in the Mullica Hill area have small but beautiful blue crystals inside them.........

Nice cleanup on Tombac, love when they come out that way. The buckle might be a bit later in time frame.

Don

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
plehbah said:

I agree that it might be one, They are rather common in some of our areas, I know in the Mullica Hill section on Raccoon Creek I used to hunt for them, since inside some of them were beautiful crystals of Vivianite. http://www.mindat.org/locentry-11635.html I am not saying your piece is one containing Vivianite, just saying that I know weird shaped concretions are found in South Jersey and that luckily some in the Mullica Hill area have small but beautiful blue crystals inside them.........

Nice cleanup on Tombac, love when they come out that way. The buckle might be a bit later in time frame.

Don

There are many more stones like this one at the site, and some did appear to have crystals. Unfortunately, I did not have a fanny pack, so I could only carry what my jeans could hold.

I will try to get back there soon.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Cool finds, looks like a great site.

"so I could only carry what my jeans could hold."
We don't expect to find anything, hopefully a few coins for the pocket then boom, where do I put this stuff ! LOL.

TommNJ

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
pro778 said:
Nice day! I'd rather fight the mosquitoes then the ticks. What did you use on the button? It really came out nice.

As I said in the post, I used aluminum jelly to clean this button. I have had good results using it on my gilted and plated one and two piece buttons. For more details, see the post http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread