Special Civil War Bayonet

greg23

May 16, 2008
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
This has been in my family for 3 generations.My father decided that today he would pass it down to me in the hope that I will pass it on to my son,which I am going to do eventually.I think its a Union Bayonet. Has U.S. stamped on it.I still have the leather sheath,but it has seen better days.It has C&Co stamped on the Bayonet. Its not that special really,but to me it is.

HH

Greg

Attachments

• bay 1.JPG
    bay 1.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 805
  • bay 2.JPG
    bay 2.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 798
Upvote 0

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean "not really that special"...that is awesome....My most prized possessions are the ones handed down to me from my grandparents....Cant put a price on that!...Steve

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool heirloom to pass down the lineage! Would be a good idea to research the preservation of leather and take care of that leather sheath ASAP. HH, Mike

H

hessian raider

Not that special? I couldn't disagree more. What you have is a literal piece of history, forged during one of the most pivotal times of this country. The fate of the nation hung in the balance, and it was only through the courage and conviction of our forefathers that we persevered. Remember this, and cherish that relic.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Great item with nice family history! Can you make out the name on the sheath?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
A.D.Laidley? From what I could find really quickly I guess they were inspectors of military purchases, rather than a manufacturer, but still good info to have documented.
By the way I think that sheath is in great shape for it's age. :)

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
A super relic in the hands of someone that appreciates history.That is what makes relics so
special is when it is passed down from generation to generation.Thanks for sharing the pics
with us.

fortbball9

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very special piece of history and it is very special to you because of your relationship with your family. I was to inherit an very nice old Parker shotgun from my grandfather. But I was in the service in Libya when he passed and my drunken uncle stole it and sold it to a pawn shop for about half of its worth. I danced at his funeral! Be very proud of it and cherish it always. Monty

Digginnit

Apr 26, 2008
That's a pretty awesome piece. Keep a light coating of gun oil on it to retard corrossion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread