Found on the 4th of July! My 13 year old son finds a GW Button!

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On this beatiful sunny 4th of July day, my son Sam and I ventured off the beaten path to a foundation in the woods that looked promising. Nothing much seemed to want to be found until I got a small tombac button, as I'm calling out to him that I had a button, he said "me too". I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington. Sure enough, in his hand was his prize, a GW Inaugural button. I'm sure this is a 4th he'll never forget. Happy 4th of July to all.

Attachments

• P7040086.JPG
    P7040086.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 3,174
  • P7040087.JPG
    P7040087.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 3,167
  • P7040091.JPG
    P7040091.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 3,158
  • P7040092.JPG
    P7040092.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 3,136
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the Cobb site again, you will see that they show TWO different WI 11 C photos, one with the GW close to the oval edge,(Cobb 5c) like in Alberts book and one that is NOT close to the edge, which is not shown in Alberts book.(Cobb 5b)

Somewhat confusing, even if you go on STACKS past auctions, the WI 11 C is two different buttons. I originally said WI 11 B, because the GW was too close to the edge to be a the C in the Alberts book, however now that I have seen photos on Stacks and relooked at the Cobb site I am fairly certain the button found and the Cobb 5b and WI 11 C are one in the same.It is said it was made out of very soft copper on the Stacks auction and wear can distort and of course on a ground found button, corrosion can distort and hide "tags", but I will say it is not a new variety and it is one of the known GW buttons, and I think WI 11 C now that I have seen those other websites.

Confusing yes, one WI 11 C says Emilio at the end, that is the one pictured in Alberts book with the GW close to the edge of the oval....

http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/Stacks.Cobb.Catalog/www.stacks.com/catalog/AJan/bw1333.html

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Don in SJ said:
If you look at the Cobb site again, you will see that they show TWO different WI 11 C photos, one with the GW close to the oval edge,(Cobb 5c) like in Alberts book and one that is NOT close to the edge, which is not shown in Alberts book.(Cobb 5b)

Somewhat confusing, even if you go on STACKS past auctions, the WI 11 C is two different buttons. I originally said WI 11 B, because the GW was too close to the edge to be a the C in the Alberts book, however now that I have seen photos on Stacks and relooked at the Cobb site I am fairly certain the button found and the Cobb 5b and WI 11 C are one in the same.It is said it was made out of very soft copper on the Stacks auction and wear can distort and of course on a ground found button, corrosion can distort and hide "tags", but I will say it is not a new variety and it is one of the known GW buttons, and I think WI 11 C now that I have seen those other websites.

Confusing yes, one WI 11 C says Emilio at the end, that is the one pictured in Alberts book with the GW close to the edge of the oval....

http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/Stacks.Cobb.Catalog/www.stacks.com/catalog/AJan/bw1333.html

Don, I would love to be able to argue this with you but truth be told, I have little knowledge of these buttons, my comment that it may be a unknown variety was based on nothing more than casual observance of listed material (website pics) and what appeared to me as obvious differences (distance between lettering, cross hatching, etc).

I`ll keep reading, looking and learning and most importantly, listening and promise to temper my enthusiasm on topics I know little about, still going to hold out hope for Kevin and Sam however. :wink:

Nice job to all those who posted links and other info. :thumbsup:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day before or one day after, maybe. On the Fourth, well, Banner, Baby!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:

Was a little confusing to me also and was going to mention the EMILIO variety. Seems on this variety the banner ends are horizontal as compared to the WI 11 C, in which the banner ends are at a slight angle. It also says, on the site I am on, that the Emilio variety is made of copper, but the 5b or WI 11c, (non-Emilio var.) is made of brass :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :tongue3:

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
could someone give a summarized definition of contemporary vs. non-contemprorary. Thanks for the education gents.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and history! A big congrats on that amazing find!!! HH, Mike

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Very nice !! The G.W. Button is a find of a lifetime :icon_thumleft:

I dug an Eagle and star variety of button last year. My best find so far for sure !!

Great to see your on the BANNER !!!

VPR

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say it... not sure if it's posted above.

Unless you have lots of experience cleaning a button like this any further, leave it. You've already got away with a water rinse which can actually make dug buttons with a green patina worse. I'm sure you are shifted into park on this one, or at least baby step mode, just keep a great find great!

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
"I'm sitting there looking at my little dime sized prize, and he starts hyperventilating and mumbling something about George Washington."

I hate when that happens.

BANNER ALL THE WAY! Congratulations!!!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a truly remarkable find ~ a stunning beauty. This day in history will be forever remembered. Congrats on the find and the banner :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure beats my .83 cents of clad coinage, 3 bottle caps, and a door knob plate I found on the 4th on an old vacant lot that I had high/er hopes for/in recovering better finds ;D

A truly great find (especially for a 13 yr old)!

Congrats and HH

Lonewolfe

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
An incredible find!! Find of a lifetime, really!!!

And to find such a historic button on the 4th of July no less, truly amazing!

Congrats on your banner find!

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread