DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
1940 D penny that had part of the last digit missing due to dirt or foriegn material in the die. Nice error coin!

HH
Slipperyjack47

OP
OP
D

dfxer

Mar 8, 2008
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
dfx, xlt
Dirt in the die might be it but the center of the 0 is also distorted, almost seams like the die was damaged. I decided to try and fill as much of a penny book as I can because my grandaughter at nine years old is expressing interest detecting and was interested in the book of pennies. This is the only reason I paid attention to this coin now going through my finds and pocket change.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
This looks like after mint damage to me. Sometimes characters on a coin can be struck obliquely and "pushed". Thats just how they look right there.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
This looks like after mint damage to me. Sometimes characters on a coin can be struck obliquely and "pushed". Thats just how they look right there.

I agree. If you look at the field of the coin, to the right of the zero from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock, there appears to be damage in the field. A straight line, kinda like a small screwdriver struck it and caused the damage to the zero. I'd hang onto it anyway, I'd hate to hear about a new error variety that I had just spent. :o

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
DigginThePast said:
Jeffro said:

I agree. If you look at the field of the coin, to the right of the zero from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock, there appears to be damage in the field. A straight line, kinda like a small screwdriver struck it and caused the damage to the zero. I'd hang onto it anyway, I'd hate to hear about a new error variety that I had just spent. :o

A third vote for post-mint damage, not a mint error.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it was struck with a screwdriver, as I can see the dark spot to the right of the 0 that also looks like a small depression. That shaded area is far more pronounced than anywhere else on the coin

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I'm steering away from the skeptics and saying keep it until you can get a professionals eyes on it.
It just seems like it would be difficult to "push" the 0 over without any more evidence of it being tampered with. Odd coins like these appear from time to time with little explanation. 8)

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have collected error coins for many years, and can say with certainty that coin has post mint damage. Good eye though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread