Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jul 2006
    Georgia
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
    1 times

Yard Sale Find, Ambrotype

Yesterday I went to an indoor yard sale in Dalton, Ga and found this ambrotype. The lady said she had no idea what kind of picture it was or who it was. She said it was in a box that her friend got at an estate sale. The scan by no means does this picture justice. It has much much clearer details in person. The baby has a freaked out look on its face, I imagine scared by the camera. The lady has a ring on two fingers on the hand around the baby. It looks almost like a drop of gold on the rings as well as in the center of the ribbon around her neck. I believe her belt has a two piece buckle and the sleves of her dress appear to have small tassle like things at her hand. Her hair is also parted in the middle. I at first thought that she may be wearing a mourning dress but I honestly don't know much about lady's wear. The case shows age but is in decent shape compared to some I've seen online. Anything yall could tell me to help me age would be geatly aprreciated. Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 2008

Re: Yard Sale Find, Ambrotype

I have one of those of my great, great?, grandfather. If you gently pop the picture out of the holder the name may be written on the back.

Jul 2006
    Georgia
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
    1 times

Thats what i was thinking but I'm afraid i'll break it or mess it up.

it
    Nov 2007
    Chicago
    White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
    1 times

Nice find. I am both fascinated and creeped out by those old photos of people, where their eyes have that devoid, possessed-kind of appearance. Especially on the babies. And also the fact that the people in the photos almost never smiled. Kind of chilling in a way!

Joe
    "Go deep or go home" - LAdigger

us
    Dec 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

As far as dating goes....Ambrotypes were used from the late 1850s to the mid to late 1860s.
    The process wasnt used all that long so its age is probably somewhere in that window, I'd guess.
    DH

us
    Sep 2008

One reason they didn't smile in photos back then was that the exposure took several minutes. It's hard to hold a smile for that long.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links