A Bad Day of Metal Detecting is BETTER than a good day at Work in NW Ohio

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI All,
Well I just had to take 4hrs off work today here in NW Ohio. It was Monday and the weather was warm and Really Breezy! Called up my buddy and asked him if he wanted to go hunting with me today. Of course he said yes and off we went. We went back to an area that I have hunted before. As you can see in the pictures Today was one of my Better day's of Metal Detecting.

The first field we hunted I found two Wheaties, and two Indian Head Pennies. I also found a Silver Ring in this old school house field. That was my second ring from this site in two weeks. My buddy found one Indian head penny and a big iron mallet in this field.

Across the road we hunted a old log cabin site and I found a token for 5 cents in trade at W Gore & Co. and a civil war heal plate. I also found a 1943 War nickel in really bad shape. My buddy also found a heart shaped token with writing on both sides, don't know what it said.

We went down the road to another old log cabin site, which a friend of mine owns and hunted that place. I found three more Wheaties, a 1939 Mercury dime, a broach, a button and best of all an old Railroad Watch Case. My buddy found a Wheat penny here. I told my buddy to dig every signal. Even the junk signals were good. On my Whites XLT, the watch came in at 70 and was really loud and sounded big and I said what the heck I wonder what this is, boy was I surprised. You just never know what you will find! As an old timer once told me dig every signal. I think he's right! Happy Hunting guys, hope the weather doesn't turn to cold here in Ohio:)

Attachments

• End of November finds2.jpg
    End of November finds2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 459
  • mercury dime.jpg
    mercury dime.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 436
  • silver ring.jpg
    silver ring.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 446
  • top of ring.jpg
    top of ring.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 402
  • train & broach.jpg
    train & broach.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey, didn't I hear that somewhere else... :D Sounds like me and my buddy except it use to be fishing. He would call me at the last moment and I would skip out of work and go fishing. Now I just have to get him pumped on Metal Detecting. It's funny cause he does have an older whites XLT like you.

Those are very good finds. A ring, silver coin, IH, wheat pennies, and relics. Would be a good day in my book too.

Any of those items very deep?

Bob

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bob, yes some of the items were deep. The Mercury dime had a real deep sound and it was. I dug it at around 7 inches. I always like those weak signals, they usually mean deep coins. Most of the wheaties and indian head pennies where around 3 to 4 inches, the silver ring was laying on top of the ground. I forgot to mention in the first post, the last time I was at this site a couple weeks ago, another buddy of mine was hunting with me and lost his sunglasses. Yep you guessed it, I found them, won't he be surprised tomorrow when I return them to him. HH Ringfinder (Denny)

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I love the look of indian head pennies! and silver coins! Hey does that pocket watch have any markings to indicate what it's made of, the age...does it still work? I love that boot heal too! Awesome finds!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah....you're just killin me here! A bad day? ??? Good gosh....what would it take for you consider you had a great day? :P

You did good! And if I had a day like you had.......I would be elated!

Congrats on your finds!

Nana ;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Looks like a great day to me,,, WTG!!!
Those sites look like they probably still have a lot to offer...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, looks pretty good to me! Looks like an interesting site to hunt at. Pobably more nice finds at that site. HH

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, Thanks for the replies. Yes it was a very good day of hunting and yes I bet there are some great finds to be found in those three places. I and others have hunted these sites many times and the good finds just keep coming.

An update on the ring and sunglasses I found. It seems the first guy I took out to the school house site hunting with me lost both those items. I copied the page of pictures and took it into work today and yep you guessed it my buddy looked at the picture of my finds and Hey that the ring I lost. He said he tore his car apart looking for the ring, but couldn't find it. Well it has been returned. I think that is the fastest I have ever returned a ring ha!ha! I had his sunglasses on and when he looked at me, he knew where I had been hunting Monday. We knew he lost his sunglasses at the site, but what we didn't know is that he lost a ring there also. I told him from now on when we go metal detecting together that I was just going to follow him around the hunt site and find all the things he lose's.

The watch is just a watch case. The insides are all gone. I couldn't get a good picture of the inside, but the silver is still in the case. It says Illinois Watch Case Co. and has a serial number and also the guys initals that fixed it a long time ago. I can't make out the date the guy fixed it.

Happy Hunting all, those great finds are still out there!

Attachments

• train & broach.jpg
    train & broach.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 303
  • train & broach.jpg
    train & broach.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 290

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I can take of work to go digging all the time....Especially when I'm driving and see a construction site and have to wait till I'm finished to go check it out.....those old site are great , the watch is sweet and the Boot heal you have with the heart on it is one I don't have. I have the Clover and Cross do you want to nagotiate!!!! Keep on digging......John

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another update on the watch case I found. I looked up the Illinois watch case co. on google and found a web page listing serial numbers and the date the watch was made. It seems it was made in 1878, too bad I didn't find the whole watch, but i'll take a watch case like this one anyday of the week, month or year!

Hey Seeker, I too have a clover heal plate and I think I might have another one in my collection. I like the little man in your post. Keep hunting, I know you'll find a heart shape one someday!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice you said watch case....are the insides missing? Monty

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Monty, yes it was just a case no insides. would have been nice but just the case. Went back to the same site last night and tried to hunt but it was so cold that I had to give up after hunting only 10 min., the temperature was around 20 degrees and the wind chill must have been about 10 above. I think my days of hunting here in Ohio are just about done for the winter.

Won't be long before I'll be hitting the libraries and museum's looking for new hunt sites. Research, Research, Research!

OOOPS guess I shouldn't tell some of you guys that, since your stuck on hunting in town school yards, but I do hope the information does help and you do some research this winter and have fun hunting relics in the fields like me and a bunch of other guys on here.

P.S. Now I'm not saying good finds don't come from school yards, cause they do, but I just love to hunt out in the country side, where most of the time I don't have to dig a thousand pull tabs and have a bunch of kids following my every move. Or in some cases having to watch my back for someone who would like to steal from me. You guys know what I mean, when the hair stands up on the back of your neck and you wish you had someone hunting with you or a gun with you. I've never had that feeling in the middle of a bean field.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife recently retired from a shortline railroad and was given a watch with that same train inscribed on it.? I think it's silver plated over copper but not sure?? Anyhow, that particular design has been in use since the 1920s up through today as it was so popular among railroaders.? JIM

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim (Monty), thanks for the information. I thought I might find it in some book but have not found the watch case. Like you, I think it is siilver over copper. I was afraid to clean it too much, as the train picture might come off. Thanks again for the information! HH (ringfinder) By the way took all my detectors out of the car except my 250, it is really cold here in nw ohio now. But you never know, I might still be able to get out, so thought I would carry at least one detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread