spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on your finds. You are definitely on a roll over there. Thank god you're not in my neck of the woods, there would be nothing here left to dig.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Well done on your finds. You are definitely on a roll over there. Thank god you're not in my neck of the woods, there would be nothing here left to dig.

Cheers, thats what I want the hawkers to think/know :icon_pirat:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
plehbah said:
I envy greatly the Roman silver coins. Those are beautiful. I have heard many people refer to coins as "historic", but I think the Roman examples really fit the bill (this is congratulatory idiom).

That being said, I wish that someday you could experience the thrill of the 1943 murky dime, or the almost shameful exhilaration at wresting from the dark Earth the beautiful and coveted dirty wheaty penny.

Oh, well.... I guess you cannot have it all!

Nice coins!

Ha ha! I've seen him pull a V Nickel ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find's as alway's.....How much land do you have to hunt over there,sound's like if there's no crop's it's available? Great stuff!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
plehbah said:
I envy greatly the Roman silver coins. Those are beautiful. I have heard many people refer to coins as "historic", but I think the Roman examples really fit the bill (this is congratulatory idiom).

That being said, I wish that someday you could experience the thrill of the 1943 murky dime, or the almost shameful exhilaration at wresting from the dark Earth the beautiful and coveted dirty wheaty penny.

Nice coins!

Ha ha! I've seen him pull a V Nickel ;D

You know, how much I like my early Roman Silver, & its funny how they turn up sometimes.
However, even though this is mostly a 4th Century site, therefore I was more likely to get a Silqilua than a Denarius, I said in the field tonight that we may get a Roman Silver from this area. It was on the edge of the site, & not amongst the other bronzes, but I just had that hunch, it was going to happen in this area. :-*

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Great finds!!

Surely the Italian coin has to be a first :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
Awesome find's as alway's.....How much land do you have to hunt over there,sound's like if there's no crop's it's available? Great stuff!!

how much in total? if so about 7000 acres

or this field? about 100 acres

We only hunt when its harvested (stubble), after its ploughed & rolled, plus a few days after its drilled (seeded). These can be very short windows, about 3 weeks sometimes, depends on the crop rotation.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Great finds!!

Its my 3rd or 4th, know as 'Galley' Halfpennies. Came over once a year in the boat fulls, from Italian bankers, payrolling the English Merchants.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Great finds!!

Its my 3rd or 4th, know as 'Galley' Halfpennies. Came over once a year in the boat fulls, from Italian bankers, payrolling the English Merchants.

That's what i thought you'd say ::) :D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Crusader, have you ever considered taking a look at the relative percentages of silver and bronze coins you find when compared to the age of the site and type of site you found them at?

I think it would be very interesting. You have acquired a bunch of stuff, you actually have some numbers and GPS data to work with, and it might be kind of fun.

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Most sites are about 70/1 (Bronze/Silver)
Last year we got it down to 40/1 over the year

This site is 100/1 so we think that more silver will turn up next year.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
plehbah said:
Crusader, have you ever considered taking a look at the relative percentages of silver and bronze coins you find when compared to the age of the site and type of site you found them at?

I think it would be very interesting. You have acquired a bunch of stuff, you actually have some numbers and GPS data to work with, and it might be kind of fun.

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Nice Silver Cru :headbang: a long time in coming, don't you think that the amout of Silvers that might be found would be due to the type of Roman occupation :read2:

take the Roman road I have been doing, this obviously has seen a lot of soldier activity, hence the high percentage of Silvers to Bronze, could it be that your site has not seen the same type of occupation :dontknow:

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a guy that can't go over there to hunt I sincerely enjoy your posts thanks. Congrats on the finds.

Burdie

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Fantastic day of hunting!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
plehbah said:

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Nice Silver Cru :headbang: a long time in coming, don't you think that the amout of Silvers that might be found would be due to the type of Roman occupation :read2:

take the Roman road I have been doing, this obviously has seen a lot of soldier activity, hence the high percentage of Silvers to Bronze, could it be that your site has not seen the same type of occupation :dontknow:

Oh yeah, it has a lot to do with the status of occuption & the types of activities which took place. I was just generalising across the sites. This is our 5th Roman Silver but our first Denarius from the site. This is a middle status Villa Site which was most successful in the 4th century, however, I believe it had routes in the Iron Age (1st C BC).
This site is extremely close to the orginal Roman Auxilliary Road which was the only 1 North at the time & lead to the only crossing of the river, so it to was very close to where the many Soldiers marched North. However, yours hay have had an Inn or the like?? or a small market area?

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
plehbah said:

Nice coins!

that's funny :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
plehbah said:

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Oh yeah, it has a lot to do with the status of occuption & the types of activities which took place. I was just generalising across the sites. This is our 5th Roman Silver but our first Denarius from the site. This is a middle status Villa Site which was most successful in the 4th century, however, I believe it had routes in the Iron Age (1st C BC).
This site is extremely close to the orginal Roman Auxilliary Road which was the only 1 North at the time & lead to the only crossing of the river, so it to was very close to where the many Soldiers marched North. However, yours hay have had an Inn or the like?? or a small market area?
See what you meen :P our road was the main route North for the Romans, so would have had a very high percentage of soldiers traveling up and down, so yeah proberbly inns and trading places for them to spend, loose, and gamble there earnings :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread