Got out for a while today. A couple of old coins and some really cool relics!!!

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Good evening fellow treasure hunters. I got out today and hit a couple of spots with Dan3921, my dad, uncle and my brother. No silver today for me, but I got an 1889 IH and an 1826 LC. I also found a really cool pistol. I would love help dating it. It looks really old to me. Also pictured are my other relics. A spoon handle with a detailed design on it, (any idea on how old it is?), an old copper ring with a baseball stone and the detail of a bat and glove on the sides, and a couple of old buttons. Can anyone date these? I have found quite few of the lead ones before, but I don't know how old they are. Thanks for looking. Happy hunting all!

Attachments

• coinsandoldthings001.jpg
    coinsandoldthings001.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 890
  • coinsandoldthings002.jpg
    coinsandoldthings002.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 872
  • coinsandoldthings003.jpg
    coinsandoldthings003.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 841
  • coinsandoldthings004.jpg
    coinsandoldthings004.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 880
  • coinsandoldthings005.jpg
    coinsandoldthings005.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 875
  • coinsandoldthings006.jpg
    coinsandoldthings006.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 881
  • coinsandoldthings007.jpg
    coinsandoldthings007.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 870
  • coinsandoldthings008.jpg
    coinsandoldthings008.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 846
Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
You have some really nice finds....Wish i could find a site to hunt.... I would like to make a suggestion... Whatever you used to clean your Large cent 1826 with I wouldn't use that method on a coin with really good detail or a coin with alot of value as you cleaned the coin to well... Any natural copper color will make your coin worthless to a collector

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs!

Any "after cleaning" pictures??

HH

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice OLD finds. I have only found hem weights at old sites.

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
creeper71 said:
You have some really nice finds....Wish i could find a site to hunt.... I would like to make a suggestion... Whatever you used to clean your Large cent 1826 with I wouldn't use that method on a coin with really good detail or a coin with alot of value as you cleaned the coin to well... Any natural copper color will make your coin worthless to a collector

Thanks for your suggestion Creeper. I did not intend to clean it that much. I first used hot peroxide, then I let it set in cold peroxide. Needless to say I forgot about it. I don't think it was worth anything to anyone but me anyway. Thanks again for your reply.

Justin

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
lonewolfe said:
Nice digs!

Any "after cleaning" pictures??

HH

Thanks for your reply. As you can probably tell, I did clean the LC, a little too much. I also cleaned up the other stuff as much as I dared to. The IH came out really clean, just green so I just rinsed that off with water. The spoon handle and ring sat in peroxide for a while. Helped a little. Thanks for reading my post.
Justin

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
that gun is way cool bud!!! (boot pistol)?also hey we all make mistakes cleaning stuff. looks like a real fun hunt. willy.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
great finds!! I found what looks to be the same ring! I don't have a clear pic though. Is your's adjustable??? Baseball on the top and crossed bats on the sides. I couldn't find out any information on the ring.

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds bro, i saw your little happy dance when you shouted that you had found a pistol! LOL. Happy Dirt Fishing.

-Dan

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
cntrydncr1 said:
great finds!! I found what looks to be the same ring! I don't have a clear pic though. Is your's adjustable??? Baseball on the top and crossed bats on the sides. I couldn't find out any information on the ring.

Yeah it is adjustable. I am having a tough time finding anything about it as well. I'm pretty sure it is old though. It was found at an old foundation from the early 1800's. The house burned in the fifties.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Fr3nchy27 said:
creeper71 said:

Thanks for your suggestion Creeper. I did not intend to clean it that much. I first used hot peroxide, then I let it set in cold peroxide. Needless to say I forgot about it. I don't think it was worth anything to anyone but me anyway. Thanks again for your reply.

Justin
it was worth about 20-25 dollars in g-4 -vg8 condition...

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hey Fr3nchy,

Great finds, dude! You guys have found a couple of weapons this season and both of them look OLD. Wish I could help with the pistol ID...I'm a lifelong hunter, but have never had enough disposable cash to do much collecting.

Beatiful green IHP....I like them the best. Your brother sent me a LC with that same patina and its one of my favorite coins in my collection. Glad all you guys got out together.

MP

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
mountainplayer said:
Hey Fr3nchy,

Great finds, dude! You guys have found a couple of weapons this season and both of them look OLD. Wish I could help with the pistol ID...I'm a lifelong hunter, but have never had enough disposable cash to do much collecting.

Beatiful green IHP....I like them the best. Your brother sent me a LC with that same patina and its one of my favorite coins in my collection. Glad all you guys got out together.

MP

Thanks for your reply Mountain Player. I'll be out your way soon. Moving to Washington in November. Even though its still far it would be cool to get together for a hunt. Happy Hunting!

Justin

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pistol you found is likely a single-shot boot pistol. I would imagine it is mid-1800s. That pewter spoon handle I have no idea how old it is, but it is likely 1850-1880ish though, because I found an almost identical one at a site that dated from that time frame. Great post. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
BuckleBoy said:
The pistol you found is likely a single-shot boot pistol. I would imagine it is mid-1800s. That pewter spoon handle I have no idea how old it is, but it is likely 1850-1880ish though, because I found an almost identical one at a site that dated from that time frame. Great post. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckles

Thanks BuckleBoy. I thought you might know something about my relics. I appreciate the help. The place where I found the IH, pewter spoon handle and the ring is the same place I found an 1891 seated dime, a 179? LC and a Green River's whiskey token. It is an old foundation to a home. It must have stood for years because I have found coins dating all the way into the 1950's. Thanks again.

Justin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions