Colonial Era Silver Cufflinks w/design

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I met one of my goals which was to find a pair of silver cufflinks. I have been fortunate to find many pairs of cufflinks over the years and most with a nice design, but none were ever made of silver.

I went to my "Colonial Copper Grand Slam" site yesterday, which back in late 2003 I accomplished a grand slam of finding 4 British halfpence all from a different monarch! A William III, King George I, King George II and a King George III. All within 10 feet of each other and all within 10 minutes. I have the story & photos posted for a few years now under Best Finds. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102926.0.html

I had planned on digging and sifting a few spots at this small homestead yesterday, but after two small digs, the heat and humidity told me to stop diggin and just metal detect. So I put away the shovel and sifter and started detecting.

This homestead is very small, the iron field hit area is no more than 20x30 feet at best and even then the targets are very scarce. My previous hunts yielded my oldest lock ever found by me and my son got a nice 18th century knee buckle there. GrandSlamsiteAug2009.JPG

Near the edge of the homestead, next to the beginning of a cedar swamp area, I did get a weak but decent, non iron hit and to my delight a beautiful pair of cufflinks were staring up at me! IMG_0012.JPG

I was as not sure if they were silver or pewter, but once I washed them off, I decided to try a bit of baking soda paste on the backside and without a doubt the cufflinks were silver. IMG_0015.JPG cufflinksdirty1.jpg

These cufflinks probably date around later middle period to the late 1700s(1750s-1790)
Colonial Silver Flower Design Cufflinks.jpg

This was the third pair this year with the first pair being the TALLYO ones I found in February.

Don

Upvote 1

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!
congrats, peanut

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I havent been on the forum lately but Kyle did inform me of your recent find so I had to check it out. They are spectacular Don and I'm sure you are proud of them. As you should be. I just got us permission at a new site for this weekend. It's in a horse pasture complete with electric fence. Looking forward to finally hitting a new spot.
Chris

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Gorgeous cufflinks Don!! WTG on that find. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Steve

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies, I was indeed very happy to find silver cufflinks, they are not a common find at all, you just do not see too many silver sets posted at all, yet alone cufflinks still linked together.

Now I guess I have to set a goal of a pair of gold cufflinks! ::)

Don

tndigger

Mar 11, 2009
tn
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2
:icon_pirat:
that awesome really cool to see something like that come to life again after all those years in the ground gret job!

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Banner cufflinks :sunny: :sunny:

Great pics from hunt and cufflinks :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Congrats on the Banner. Hogge :headbang:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Congrats on the banner, Don! I am currently using the cufflink picture as my computer background.

Kyle

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the BANNER Don!!!
I've never seen a cufflink banner in my three years on TN. You may be the first. ???
Congrats & wear them with pride. ;D
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread