Gold, Silver and Wheat

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I am new to the forum and this is my fist post... When I was a kid I used to go metal detecting with my dad and my uncle; I had not picked up a detector after that until 4 years ago when I was studying for the bar exam. My dad still had a Whites DP Pro 6000 ( I believe thats what it was). I picked it up as a way to relieve some stress...I went to the back yard of my parents house which was built in 1891 and I only turned up some square nails and an old hinge. I went to my old elementary school and found a modern nickle out in the old playground...that was 4 years ago. My uncle and I have been talking about picking up it up again and checking out a Civil War battlefield around Kinson, NC. Last week I bought a Whites DFX and used it for the first time today. I took the 40 min. drive to another uncle of mine whose house in Mt. Pleasant, NC. This house was built in 1858 and had been detected before...the last time was about 14 years ago. My uncle showed me some of the finds; they included 5 merc. dimes, a v nickle, a NC Civil war button and button with an eagle grasping an anchor (maybe Confederate Navy). I turned my detector on the first time and got a signal...I dug it and it was a square nail...about 10 minutes into it I got a signal of 95 and the icon registered as a dollar. I dug it and using whites pinpointer that came with the detector I pulled out this gold bracelet. (maybe a broken neckless). It has a marking on the reverse of each disk of an upside down triangle with a W in the middle....I stayed another hour or so and I went to my dad's house who lives in COncord, NC about 15 minutes away to show him my find. Hew was pertty excited too so we started tooling around in the backyard and pulled up the 2 wheat pennies and the V nickle. One penny is dated 1945, the other's date is not legible and the V is 1907. Sorry for such a long post...I hope you enjoy the pics.

Anyone have any idea what the markings on the bracelet are?

Attachments

• penny.v.bracelet1.jpg
    penny.v.bracelet1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 386
  • penny.v.bracelet2.jpg
    penny.v.bracelet2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 375
  • penny.v.braceletrev.jpg
    penny.v.braceletrev.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 375
  • braceletrev.jpg
    braceletrev.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
...I though it was interesting that I found the bracelet in the backyard where a kitchen to the house had used to be...the kitchen was torn down in 1931 according the my uncle....which may explain all of the old nails around the area. ?When I go out there again I'll take pictures of the house...its about a 5000 square foot plantation house on 2 1/2 acres of land!!!

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome finds, that bracelet is cool and the nickel is in pretty good condition too....for a nickel....good job and welcome back to the hobby

HH

DANNYGEE

Oct 27, 2005
GREENLAWN, NY (LONG ISLAND)
Detector(s) used
2-6000 di pros
great stuff there!
certainly motivational enough to rekindle your interest in this awesome hobby!
welcome aboard
by the way your dads older machine (6000 di pro) is a great machine.
i still use one.they are workhorses.
enjoy!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't take long to get you hooked did it? LOL Great finds ! Look forward to seeing what else you come up with. Good iuck on the bar exam by the way. Monty

OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I like the nickle too. Its a good feeling to find an old coin. The nickle was pulled out near the rear property line of my parents house (built 1891) where my dad told me an old tavern used in the late 1800s. I bet you could buy a few beers at the tavern back then for a nickle...guess the guy who lost it went home a little more sober that night. I wish I had more information on the bracelet, how old, what karat, etc. I think I may take it to a jeweler and see what they have to say. If its around the turn of the century there's probably some good history behind it....I hope the marking can shed some light.

Thanks, Monty...thank goodness that exam is 4 years behind me..its still gives me chills thinking about it. :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Daniel!!!

;)

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
u have an old place there to hunt, im sure there alot more there,, nice finds

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Daniel to the forum and to a great hobby ! Those are some nice finds. Thanks for sharing with us. Good Luck in the future !

Huntin' 59er

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Daniel.? What a great hunt you had.?

Daniel in NC said:
Sorry for such a long post...I hope you enjoy the pics.

Don't ever appologize for a long post. I like to read and look at pictures!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread