nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today's Finds, old homesite...buffalo, wheat, neat looking whatzit..lots of pics

I went back to this old homesite that I had hunted before and posted pics of before...didn't do good last time, just one jefferson nickel from the 70's but today was a different story...Got started around noon, temp was around 35 and it snowed on me all day but I found this 1935 buffalo nickel and a no date wheatie...also found this neat looking old compact complete with applicator and mushy old old makeup. Also got this ornate looking whatzit, found it in two separate pieces a few feet apart and after I cleaned them up I noticed that they fit together, but I have no ideat what it is, on the back side it has "teeth" for some reason. Oh and what looks like a button off of some jeans that says IPANA. Almost forgot to mention the biggest friggin pulltab that I have ever seen....lol...hopefully this won't be the last time that I get to hunt this year because of the weather...keeping my fingers crossed for next weekend!

HH

Attachments

• 12_11_indian (Medium).jpg
    12_11_indian (Medium).jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 561
  • 12_11_wheat (Medium).jpg
    12_11_wheat (Medium).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 552
  • 12_11_relics1 (Large).jpg
    12_11_relics1 (Large).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 557
  • 12_11_relics2 (Large).jpg
    12_11_relics2 (Large).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More Pics

Here's some more...

Attachments

• 12_11_whatzit (Large).jpg
    12_11_whatzit (Large).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 547
  • 12_11_compact (Large).jpg
    12_11_compact (Large).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 543
OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Site Pic

Here's a pic of the site again....

Attachments

• front_11_12.jpg
    front_11_12.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 540
  • front_11_12.jpg
    front_11_12.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 538

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Today's Finds, old homesite...buffalo, wheat, neat looking whatzit..lots of

Never,

nice coins, nice artifacts. Looks like an interesting site.

IPANA, all I can think of was a toothpaste that came out in the 50's. Is the button thing plastic? If so it could be
from the cap on the toothpaste.

have a good un..............

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Today's Finds, old homesite...buffalo, wheat, neat looking whatzit..lots of pics

nope, it's metal....

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Today's Finds, old homesite...buffalo, wheat, neat looking whatzit..lots of pics

here's the hugeass pulltab I found, never seen one like this before, my expertise in pulltabs grows....lol

Attachments

• bigass_tab.jpg
    bigass_tab.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 491

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HAHAHA!! Yeah...your right about the pull tab!!!! I do remember seeing something like that many years ago....maybe like on the tops of cans...I think it was something like "deviled ham"....? ???

Anyhow...those are some really great finds! You played in some harsh elements for those! :o

;)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Alright! There's bound to be more GOOD STUFF out there.
Spotz

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds and site! Do know any history of the house? Might be a cache hiding out there in the woods somewhere. Is there an outhouse? HH, Mike

Kredek

Jul 22, 2005
Poland
Re: Today's Finds, old homesite...buffalo, wheat, neat looking whatzit..lots of

Never!
Congrats! Very nice find. Kredek

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very nice digs, WTG!!!
Looks like an interesting site, I smell a cache... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

thanks for all of the good comments, you all.....Nana, I found a few of those tabs, also found the cans to go along with them, I think your'e right about the ham, or potted meat or something like that, probably hunters threw them down there

Bavaria Mike.....don't know any history of the house, wish I did though, I don't ever have much time for research other than the internet....not much stuff online for WV yet, were still in the dark ages.? There is no outhouse or remains of an outhouse that I could find...maybe it was just built over the creek beside the house.? There is also a well there but it is caved in for the most part.? All of the boards and beams in the house are hand-planed, I can tell by the marks in the wood, maybe that would tell something about age

There's also small pieces of newspaper all over the walls that was under the wallpaper, tried to find a date but couldn't....4 other buildings stand on the property, I think that two were living quarters and 2 were for storage, and there's a barn with very small doors a couple hundred yards back

thanks again for looking....

HH

Anybody have an idea what the whatzit is?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Finds, AWSOME HOUSE.

sssnake31

Dec 27, 2004
Northwest Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, great looking location. Good luck on the next trip there. HH

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice old finds....But I love the old House...I have to get a Pic of that for my office ,But I think I was there a long time ago.....Merry Christmas .......Seeker

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Seeker said:
Nice old finds....But I love the old House...I have to get a Pic of that for my office ,But I think I was there a long time ago.....Merry Christmas .......Seeker

Seeker, I'll send you a fullsize copy of the pic after work if you want it.

HH

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

The Whatsit is the Buckle & Clasp to a woman's dress belt, late 1800's to early 1900's. IPANA, was tooth paste, in the late 1940's & early 1950's the tube was made out of a soft metal like lead foil. the cap was also made from a harder metal. trk5capt...

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana

GREAT LOOKING SITE, did you scan around the fireplace? With more buildings to go and the finds your pullin looks like youve got the makings to a great season!! What an awesome compact, with make up and all, wow!!! ;)

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lionhrt9 said:
GREAT LOOKING SITE, did you scan around the fireplace?? With more buildings to go and the finds your pullin looks like youve got the makings to a great season!! What an awesome compact, with make up and all, wow!!! ;)

I did scan around the fireplace, and, unfortunately nothing. Also scanned inside the house and check all eves and overhangs for coins/relics, again nothing. I pretty much detected around all of the buildings there, but it is impossible to detect all areas because of brush, fallen trees, vines, and tin from the roof everywhere. I would like to get permission to do some clearing, then try to hit it again, there has to be lots of goodies still hiding in the ground there......just a lot harder to get to. I like the compact too....almost as much as the nickel, just wish that there was coins instead of makeup in it.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread