Metal detecting around old house

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Hello everybody, I'm new to metal detecting so I hope I can learn a few things on this site.
Well, I metal detected an old house this morning and found a few things. The house is gone all but the chimney and the owner (my aunt) is not sure when it was built but I'm guessing mid to late 1800's. The bottle was found while digging a piece of junk metal and the same goes for the marble, unless I bought one heck of a metal/glass detector. Well, here are my finds

metaldetecting002.jpg

I also found a harmonica that says Sousa's Band on one side and John Philip Sousa on the other side
Anybody know anything about this harmonica or how old it may be?

metaldetecting003.jpg

The Indian head penny is 1902 and the two wheat pennies are 1912s and 1929d i believe.
Also, I'm using photobucket so do I need to change the way I'm posting pics to save space?

metaldetecting005.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
goldeagle said:
way to go!keep on huntin!

I will thanks. I just started metal detecting a couple weeks ago and I was pretty happy to see that Indian head penny. I'll be out tomorrow or the next at the same spot, so hopefully I can post more finds. Can anyone tell me if I should clean any of the coins and if so, with what? Any help is greatly apreciated.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow a harp in one piece :icon_thumleft: nice IH I JUST PULLED A 1902 a few days ago...........MR TUFF..

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds congrats.

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, if you would like to clean up the IH peroxide heated in the microwave just until it starts to bubble in a glass jar does a great job. (heat peroxide, pull jar then drop penny in...don't put penny in microwave, lol)It may take a couple cycles but it's gentle on the coin and I've had pretty good luck with it. I made my wife pick up 3 huge bottle of peroxide yesterday while she was shopping.

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
looks like your off to a great start.took me awhile before i dug my first IH penny..i have found lots of harmonica reeds but don't see many complete harmonicas.congrats on a great start

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
That harmonica is an amazing find. Looks to be silver. Here is some information I dug up on it. Congratulations!
Anthony

Sousa organized his own band the year he left the Marine Band. The Sousa Band toured from 1892–1931, performing at 15,623 concerts.[2] In 1900, his band represented the United States at the Paris Exposition before touring Europe. In Paris, the Sousa Band marched through the streets including the Champs-Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe – one of only eight parades the band marched in over its forty years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Philip_Sousa

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
More Info on the harmonica:

Hohner introduced his first harmonica to America in 1862. Hohner cleverly exploited the prestige of well-known musical figures to enhance the appeal of his instruments. The Marine Band model, which became the most popular harmonica of all time, was named after the famous band led by American bandmaster John Philip Sousa.

Sousa himself was persuaded to endorse the Hohner harmonica in a statement printed on the instrument box and reproduced in advertisements across the country. "This instrument is a foundation for a musical career," Sousa said, "and many boys and girls who are now learning music on the harmonica will step into the great symphony orchestras and bands of our country some day."

Sousa may have been exaggerating, but during the Depression of the 1930s more than 2,000 harmonica bands were formed to give young people musical training. As a tribute to the groups, Sousa composed a rousing march entitled "The Harmonica Wizard."
http://www.euxton.com/harmonica/history2.htm

Rowdy Yates

Nov 15, 2006
Coulterville, California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Nice finds! The bottle contained snuff. There should be raised dots on the bottom, which signifies the strength of the snuff. One dot for mild, two for medium, three for strong, etc.

Regards,

Rick

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Narthoniel said:
That harmonica is an amazing find. Looks to be silver. Here is some information I dug up on it. Congratulations!
Anthony

Sousa organized his own band the year he left the Marine Band. The Sousa Band toured from 1892–1931, performing at 15,623 concerts.[2] In 1900, his band represented the United States at the Paris Exposition before touring Europe. In Paris, the Sousa Band marched through the streets including the Champs-Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe – one of only eight parades the band marched in over its forty years.

Thanks Narthoniel! You think the harmonica could be silver? It does look pretty clean for being under ground for so long.

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Rowdy Yates said:
Nice finds! The bottle contained snuff. There should be raised dots on the bottom, which signifies the strength of the snuff. One dot for mild, two for medium, three for strong, etc.

Regards,

Rick

The bottle has one dot on the bottom, thanks for the info.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
TejasDigger said:
Narthoniel said:
Anthony

Thanks Narthoniel! You think the harmonica could be silver? It does look pretty clean for being under ground for so long.

It is possible. I did do a little research to try and find that exact harmonica to no avail, but I did run across several that were nickle plated. Not sure what that would look like after time in the dirt. After I stopped researching I noticed it was made in Germany, so might give it another go. Had to run this morning so was short on time.
Anthony

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the hormonica. All in one piece. Welcome to T- Net. Happy Hunting........

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I'm going back to same spot next weekend. Hopefully, I can post some new finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions