Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W@W what a nice all day hunt. A hunt is rare these days for me...but an all day one is almost non existant anymore.

Met up with Darrell at a site he found for us. It's one I knew about...and I figured we could probably hunt here because I had years before...but I had never plundered it with an explorer...and no longer had permission.

The land had changed hands since the 90's and I DON'T hunt without permission.
Anyway.."Heavy D" waddled up to the door :laughing7: and an old lady answered. I stayed in the car because my earrings and tattoos usually don't don't make too good of a first impression on people. ;D :headbang:

Darrell came back to the car shaking his head and grinning from ear to ear. :D Apparantly when he explained what we would be doing (searching for coins)...the old lady told him if he needed a little money...that she would just give it to him. :laughing9:
She probably took a look at his sagging britches and figured he needed a handout! :hello2:

Anyway...Darrell got us permission as he usually does. He's a super good guy with a great personality. He and the Yeti (niterider_5 are a lot alike.

My first hit of the day was an old injun from about 9" down...followed by a couple of wheaties.

An hour or so later I popped out my first silver...a completely black tarnished merc from 8".

I then found another wheatie and another injun.

6 hours into the hunt I got a screamer of a warble...but it hit from only one spot. ??? Turn and it was gone.... all the way around the hole it was gone. ??? In that one spot though I would swear I could hear a nice silver warble. :icon_thumleft: When I tried to pinpoint...it was weird too. My cursor on the SE stayed towards the upper right and it fluttered along the top.
However it was a fairly wide pinpoint area instead of a tiny area which usually says "coin". :icon_thumleft:

I dug down over 8" and ran the probe. NOTHING! :(
I dug down another 2" and still NOTHING! :(
I started to fill in the hole...then decided to give it one more try. I widened the hole a bunch then ran the probe again. For the third time...NOTHING. :dontknow:

I then switched the probe to pinpoint and ran it again. This time I picked up a faint hit on the bottom side of the hole. 8) I popped out a huge chunk then ran the probe again in normal mode...BINGO...nice high silver warble. :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

"Heavy D" started scraping away at the bottom side of the hole. His freakin' mitts are big enough that I couldn't even fit my own hand in the hole to participate in the fun. :D I thought about thumping him with the predator like I did last time...but the look on his face was priceless.
:laughing7:
From right at 10" Darrell popped out for me....the 1876 Seated dime and the 1903 Barber dime. :blob1: Probably one of the sweetest...if not THE sweetest pocket spills I've ever had. :icon_thumleft:

After the shock wore off a little...I realized all I needed to complete the silver dime grand slam...was a roosey. :wink:

I moved to a different section of the site where I had popped some mercs and roosies years ago with my trusty fisher CZ (still one of the best silver killers EVER made).

I was working a trashy spot with tons of iron and rusty crap everywhere...so I popped on the 6" excelerator coil.
I then felt the ground shaking :blob8: ...and noticed "Heavy D" meandering towards me as only he can do. ;D He had a big grin on his face and a sweet Standing Liberty quarter. :icon_thumleft: Although it didn't have a date on it...it is still SWEET...my favorite coin.

I then concentrated on the trash section I was working until I finally popped out a wheatie. I thought for sure it was going to be a silver dime from the way it hit and sounded...but I got punked. 8)

About 45 minutes later I got a nice warblling screamer at about the 7" mark on the depth meter.
I dug down and popped out a tiny little nail...then a piece of old pop can that had a WEIRD looking gold colored rust stain on it. I then ran the probe again and it was still singing. :icon_thumleft:
Right underneath the old piece of can slaw was a roosey stained just like the can slaw. :icon_thumleft:
You might never hear me say again that I wanted to find a roosey over a seated or barber...but at this time...I DID. :blob3:

FINALLY a silver dime grand slam. :icon_thumleft: I have come close TWICE this year but got punked both times. :laughing9: The first time this year the Yeti found the seated I needed right in front of me.

The second time this year...Guvner punked me by finding the merc I needed about 10 feet from me. :(
To this day I still want to punch his lights out for messing up that slam :headbang:...but I got even with him the next trip.
When he found that sweet Barber half...I figured he needed a little help hunting his "spot" 8) so I walked to about 15 feet on his left and found a barber quarter before he could make his way there. :hello2:
That's what friends are for right? ;D 8)

Anyway...thanks for viewing and good luck on your next hunt. :hello:

Attachments

• coins247.jpg
    coins247.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,528
  • coins248.jpg
    coins248.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,532
  • coins249.jpg
    coins249.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,519
  • coins250.jpg
    coins250.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,527
  • coins251.jpg
    coins251.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,515
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Bryce on another silver grand slam for Ya :headbang: Love reading your stories and what you find in the process. WTG on another sucess story and glad you had the day to yourself.......well, almost :laughing7:

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Hey Bryce ,, been waiting to hear from ya,,,, knew you were about due for a good hunt!!!

Great story as always ,, man a grand slam!!! Your the king!! thanks for sharin your treasures.

SWING AHEAD BRO!!!

ART

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds there congrats I love those seated coins for sure.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverfreak,I don't know about that! I'm starting think "SILVERKING" :laughing9:.At the top for finding silver on a regular basis.You know how to do it my man. :thumbsup:
Good Job "SilverFreak" :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang:
Timekiller!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to fulfill a goal, especially after
coming so close twice before. Congrats
on the silver dime grand slam Bryce.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds bryce!!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow Bryce, taking full advantage of the time you have to hunt. The grandslammer all right. Nice digs man. Congrats and I hope you get out again real soon. Time is dwindling for us northern folk...Congrats again buddy. jgas

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just once I would love to score some nice old coins like that! Way to go big guy. :headbang:
There's no stopping you Bryce. :occasion14:
-MM-

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're batting 1000 Bryce!

WTG on the Grand Slam. You always seem to find that deep silver and the best hunting spots.

WTG :headbang: :hello2: :thumbsup:

Nat

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Bryce, you are a lean, mean, silver-digging machine! :headbang: You and Darrell rock Missouri with your recoveries!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tymcmurray said:
VERY nice. Everybody hunting should have a chance to dig something so sweet!
Thanks Tmac.

Sofaman36 said:
Great finds. I wish I could find me some seated coins. Good job. :thumbsup:
Thanks sofaman. They are out there buddy...but getting to find. I wish you the best of luck popping one out.

crazyjarhead said:
WTG Bryce on another silver grand slam for Ya :headbang: Love reading your stories and what you find in the process. WTG on another sucess story and glad you had the day to yourself.......well, almost :laughing7:
Thanks CJH....and I appreciate the kind words. Yep...it was a fun day

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timekiller said:
Silverfreak,I don't know about that! I'm starting think "SILVERKING" :laughing9:.At the top for finding silver on a regular basis.You know how to do it my man. :thumbsup:
Good Job "SilverFreak" :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang:
Timekiller!
Thanks TK. I wish I had more time to hunt...but spending all the time I can with my Pops...is #1 on the list.Thanks for the knd words.

wingmaster said:
Awesome finds there congrats I love those seated coins for sure.
Tanks Wingmaster

artzstuff1 said:
Hey Bryce ,, been waiting to hear from ya,,,, knew you were about due for a good hunt!!!

Great story as always ,, man a grand slam!!! Your the king!! thanks for sharin your treasures.

SWING AHEAD BRO!!!

ART
hanks Art. My first hunt in3 weks..but it was a good one. Lots of priorities right now...but man this hobby is great :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread