Got black powder?

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Went out for just about an hour today to schoolyard #4 (I can't call it silver schoolyard just yet as no silver has been found there), and on the third or fourth signal I pulled up this neat token from the Mendota Coal and Coke company. It's big, about the size of a half dollar, and it was DEEP, around 10". Nice to know I'm not missing any big silver way down below. This one rung up +36 on the Safari.

Got this off the internet which gives a bit of history of the company:

MENDOTA, a town in the northwestern part of Lewis County [Washington state], named in 1908 by the Mendota Coal and Coke Company, who had a mining company in Missouri with the same name. (P. L. Hansen, in "Names MSS.," Letter 74.)

I'm just curious as to why the token is for 8 1/3 lbs. Was that a standard unit back then?

HH,

Ray

Attachments

• token-obv.JPG
    token-obv.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 898
  • token-rev.JPG
    token-rev.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 895
Upvote 0

riverdolphin

Jul 5, 2009
Don't have any idea about the 8 1/3 pounds, but really interesting token. Deffinately a different time. Think you would need more than a token to get your hands on 8 1/3 pounds now days. Plus, you might would be seen as a terrorist if you tried! :laughing9: :hello2:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Probably the amount of powder that an industrious handloading miner would need to load his round of shots drilled into a coal face to shoot out what he could load in a shift .
If you didn't produce enough coal in the shift you weren't worth your powder .

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is insane!!WOW!!Yea,I agree hard to get powder right now, probably forever!!!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Miners in the handloading days were paid piece work for their production and supplies were deducted from their settlements . A few days of low production and he could owe the 'company store' more than he made .
If he was unlucky enough to get killed while owing his wife and /or kids had to work off the debt .

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Thanks for the comments, folks. truckinbutch, that's some great information. Thanks!

Ray

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
I'm thinking kegs of black powder used to come in 25lb kegs, a third would be 8 1/3 lbs. Maybe this will help someone come up with the reason for that exchange rate. (Three miners working together, three tokens needed for a full keg, etc.....)

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
i asked a few guys that collect this sort of token and a guy that collects memoribilia from the early days of the mines, like lighting devices, lunch boxes, advertising, safety devices.....on and on....

the best guess was 8 1/3 was a measure of the powder. said it would make sense that much for a shift for one person. the 25# keg would not be taken into the mine. it was portioned out. seemed to think a gallon paint can, or a flask of similar size would approximate the 8 1/3#.

there is a whole book written on the explosive control tokens of the mines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread