Another day at the 1850s courthouse nets a meager pocket spill, 3 keepers...

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Another day at the 1850's courthouse nets a meager pocket spill, 3 keepers...

I went to the courthouse after dropping my dog off at the vet for surgery. Yesterday I found a 1901 Indian Head penny at the end of an hour hunt, so I was eager to get back again... Well, no place is ever hunted out...but this place is close! Went for about 4 hours...got a bit of clad...

pile-o-coins.JPG

Got some fun stuff...like this bracelet...apparently these were really popular in the late '70s in this area.

D.K..JPG

And these two screwcaps...the bottom one is my favorite!

Gibson\'s screw.JPG
dist. screw.JPG

I was really getting tired of digging clad, and I was pretty discouraged because I had just dug a 1981 memorial cent at 7" as measured with my blade. I decided to go to the south side of the building...the side that would have gotten the most foot traffic. The ground was trashy! All kinds of loud signals...so I swept to a quiet spot and slowed down a bit...apparently this small part had been missed by all of the previous hunters... I got a solid penny signal one direction and a solid nickel signal the other...not a weak one either...steady VDI of 75 left...solid 18 right. I rotated 90 degrees and got the same result. I dug it and I got my first old pocket spill...
Dug the Buff...notice the ring on the front? So did I...knew there were more coins in the hole...
191#buffPS.JPG
191#buffpsback.JPG
191#.JPG
Here's the other coin...
pocketspillwheat.JPG
And...finally...here is one of the strangest pennies I have ever dug! Was in the same pocket spill...didn't know what it was until I held it just right in the light...
steelPSfront.JPG
see...
steelpslincoln.JPG

Thanks for lookin' and happy hunting!

~Tom

Upvote 0

briankb70

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2008
river valley/ Fort Smith, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's DFX,Classic III, Prizim II
Re: Another day at the 1850's courthouse nets a meager pocket spill, 3 keepers...

wtg :headbang:you got me wanting to do courthouses now
i think ours our off limits because of national historical sites :(

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Re: Another day at the 1850's courthouse nets a meager pocket spill, 3 keepers...

briankb70 said:
i think ours our off limits because of national historical sites :(

I got lucky...it just so happens that I did the gentelman a favor that is in charge!

~Tom

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds.

You probably already know this, but your strange looking penny could be a 1943 steel cent.

Does a magnet stick to it?

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Sounds like your on a good site!!! Very nice pics by the way!!

swing ahead!!!!!! :headbang:

art

OldNorthwest

Sep 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Minelab Exporer SE

Great job on the pocket spill! That steel penny may be ugly, but you don't see a lot of them found! Keep up the good work.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steel penny or crappy zincoln ::)

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

Another good hunt, AF! I've only dug one no-date buff and I was thinking of the Lime Away treatment. I noticed it worked pretty well for you in a previous post.

Congrats on the recognizable steel wheat! I dug my first one, stuck to a 1943 copper wheat, about two months ago. It's just a lump of rust, but it sits proudly in its own coin holder!

MP

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Congratulations on getting the buffalo nickle! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread