johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to a spot in Pa. which I hadn't been to in 15 yrs., and which I'd pretty much abandoned as everyone had hit it hard including me. I was surprised to see a lot of it was gone (to a development) and much of what was left was being used as a private dump for old beer bottles and cans. There was still about 25 x 25 feet of the original ground left; pretty clean except for trees and underbrush. The 8" coil was worthless, as there was always iron everywhere and still is. I used the 5" excel with relic mode and sens bumped up to 26! (kind ground along the Delaware!). Every signal was bad, including the King William which only read one way. The smallest signal is a tiny piece of leather with two copper hobnails left in it. The oak leaf is made of lead and is pretty strange to find on this humble location. The big iron thing is a curry comb. My best find today besides the William is the small colonial cufflink made of pewter, a metal I'd never found a cufflink made of before.

Attachments

• wednesday finds.jpg
    wednesday finds.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 566
  • pewter.jpg
    pewter.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 546
Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always nice to see a site still producing after so many Years of being hunted.

Great Finds, Nova Treasure

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going John, one good relic and one good colonial copper. I believe I have almost the same cufflink, also pewter. The William III copper, I am assuming the reverse is blank or nearly so, so based on the position of the ribbons I believe yours would be a Type I 1695-1697 variety.

Don

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im pretty sure I have a few cuffs the same design or very close also Pewter
Nice ole finds especially for such a well hit small area,pays to dig some bad signals sometimes :icon_thumright:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking cuff link and a old copper sounds like a good hunt to me! :thumbsup:

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice copper. Those are some really nice finds. Makes me think that I need to buy a much smaller coil....

Are those horse teeth I see. I found a cache of horse teeth earlier in the year. I kept pulling teeth, buckles and leather straps from the hole. It was a bit freaky and finally I gave up and filled in the hole. Not sure if the whole horse was there or not. I suspect that it may have been.

Congrats on a great hunt and a nice OLD copper...

Brian in MA

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Nova, Don, Brian, collector, and Brian Ma. Brian, I'm pretty sure it is a horse tooth. Speaking of teeth though, here's another "tooth' which I dug the other day. Any idea what this might be?

Attachments

• teeth.jpg
    teeth.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 472

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Couple nice early keepers

HH Jer

johnnyi said:
Thanks Nova, Don, Brian, collector, and Brian Ma. Brian, I'm pretty sure it is a horse tooth. Speaking of teeth though, here's another "tooth' which I dug the other day. Any idea what this might be?

It's funny to see this after I had the exact specimen for years and thought I had something prehistoric or something unusual. When I showed it to a friend who knows a lot about bones, he laughed and told me that he too had the same example for years thinking it was something really old only to find out that it belonged to a pig.
So without a doubt I would say that it belonged to a pig or wild pig.
Nice finds BTW!
Dave.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep looks like the left side bottom part of a wild boars jaw.Great finds on the rest to.Hope this helps cause you sure do your part in helping on the "What is it part of the Forum" :thumbsup: :hello:
Timekiller!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny,

Those are some Excellent finds. The cufflink is a wonderful find, and as usual any early copper makes one's day. I love seeing the Wm. coppers posted. Not too many are found, and even less with any detail whatsoever. It's nice that you can read the beginning of the Latin inscription of the name. That ID's it beyond any shadow of a doubt. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread