Old weird token with horse on it, Farley Coin, Any ideas.....

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
i went to this 1800's farm house today and come up with this in the front yard. It is copper about the size of a half dollar. It has what looks like a horses head with some strange symbols and one side. The other side looks like the bust of a women wearing a wreath around her head.
I have no idea what it could be.
any information would be great.
Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• token 2.JPG
    token 2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 3,700
  • token 1.JPG
    token 1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,802
Upvote 2

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old weird token with horse on it, Help......

Here we go again! :D

I'll pass.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

Oh nooooo. Not another one. ???

Still a nice find. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:-[

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

What state and country did you find this in? This is a very curious find. It could be worth a couple hundred bucks right now on Ebay. Its called a Farley coin. We havent been able to ID it but its a great example. Could we please have a picture showing the complete coin?

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

Iron Patch said:

I'll pass.
RPG said:

BuckleBoy said:

lol i read the other thread guys. not to get everyone going nuts again, but what do you think. Is it possible this is real.
My first gut reaction was that this was a modern (late 18-early 1900's) copy of a coin.
what do ya think

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Is the farley coin an ancient coin.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

bigcypresshunter said:
What state and country did you find this in? This is a very curious find. It could be worth a couple hundred bucks right now on Ebay. Its called a Farley coin.

im in United states
Connecticut to be exact
so what is a Farley coin?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

ugotit22 said:
Iron Patch said:

I'll pass.
RPG said:

BuckleBoy said:

lol i read the other thread guys. not to get everyone going nuts again, but what do you think. Is it possible this is real.
My first gut reaction was that this was a modern (late 18-early 1900's) copy of a coin.
what do ya think
I think its a turn of the century strike, possibly a watch fob. This will forever be know as THE CONNECTICUT COIN!! http://www.gloriafarley.com/chap11.htm

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Actually there is already a Connecticut coin so what do we call it? :dontknow:

Connecticut Coin

Totten reported that a man in Connecticut, Frederick J. Gastonguay of Waterbury, had sent a photograph of a coin to him. Gastonguay had also read the article in Family Weekly, and had noticed that the coin illustrated was a duplicate of a coin that he had carried in his pocket for twenty years, ever since he had found it in a field near Waterbury. This city is near a river which flows to the Atlantic. Although somewhat worn from carrying, the coin is still well preserved, and appears to be another genuine duplicate.

What city lol? You have found a famous coin and we need to name it. It has nice denticals.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

bigcypresshunter said:
ugotit22 said:
Iron Patch said:

I'll pass.
RPG said:

BuckleBoy said:

what do ya think
I think its a turn of the century strike, possibly a watch fob. This will forever be know as THE CONNECTICUT COIN!! http://www.gloriafarley.com/chap11.htm

i just read there description of the coin
Like the one that was found to be real, mine is thicker in the middle and thinner on the edges, and it is corroded some.
lol
i just dont know, i was thinking it was newer, but now this all has me wondering

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

bigcypresshunter said:
Actually there is already a Connecticut coin so what do we call it? :dontknow:

Connecticut Coin

Totten reported that a man in Connecticut, Frederick J. Gastonguay of Waterbury, had sent a photograph of a coin to him. Gastonguay had also read the article in Family Weekly, and had noticed that the coin illustrated was a duplicate of a coin that he had carried in his pocket for twenty years, ever since he had found it in a field near Waterbury. This city is near a river which flows to the Atlantic. Although somewhat worn from carrying, the coin is still well preserved, and appears to be another genuine duplicate.

What city lol? You have found a famous coin and we need to name it. It has nice denticals.

i found the coin about 3 miles from the Waterbury line in Cheshire CT.
what do you mean famous? can someone please explain this all to me, im alittle lost!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Hey, that's a nice coin! What do you know, another one. Congrats!!

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

what do you mean famous? can someone please explain this all to me, im alittle lost!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

ugotit22 said:
You have to read the entire post (5 pages)and all the links. Gloria Farley wrote several books using this coin to support her theory that the Carthaginians discovered America. This looks like an ancient Carthaginian coin but the roots are different, supposedly representing the transplanting to the New World. Only a few have been found. It turns out this is a modern copy, probably early 1900's. We havent been able to positively identify who minted these and why. The publicity may get you a few bucks on eBay..
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,268145.0.html

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

bigcypresshunter said:
ugotit22 said:
You have to read the entire post (5 pages)and all the links. Gloria Farley wrote several books using this coin to support her theory that the Cathaginians discovered America. This looks like an ancient Carthaginian coin but the roots are different, supposedly representing the transplanting to the New World. Only a few have been found. It turns out this is a modern copy. We havent been able to positively identify who minted these and why. The publicity may get you a few bucks on eBay..

In other words, you have found something very rare. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

SWR said:
thanx
RPG said:
bigcypresshunter said:
ugotit22 said:
You have to read the entire post (5 pages)and all the links. Gloria Farley wrote several books using this coin to support her theory that the Cathaginians discovered America. This looks like an ancient Carthaginian coin but the roots are different, supposedly representing the transplanting to the New World. Only a few have been found. It turns out this is a modern copy. We havent been able to positively identify who minted these and why. The publicity may get you a few bucks on eBay..

In other words, you have found something very rare. :thumbsup:
is it rare because there is little known about the replica's/there wasnt many made. Or someother reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread