Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening Fellow Dirt Diggers :D

Just got home last night from a coast to coast run and ran into winter in the mountains of Pennsylvannia. What a difference having been in Florida a few days earlier enjoying mid 80's weather . Winter has came here in Ohio already. 44 is the normal low and our high today didn't get past that >:( Global warming strikes again. Anyways, enough of that.

After having a few beers last night and getting a good night sleep I was going out today hell or high water. It was chilly and I was dressed in my usuall shorts ??? I headed back over to the Sarah Fairchild Civil War Era home site where I had found a civil war coin (1863) before I left to California 2 weeks ago.

I was only able to hunt 2 hours as it was cold and windy and I was cold too :o Didn't find a whole lot of things today but did mange a few keepers. Here is what I found:

CW token was found 2 weeks ago, not todays hunt
2 Wheats 1910, 1913
1 zipper :o Wow
1 very nice 44 Merc
1 General Officers Staff Button
1 large piece of copper that has Jerome and Co., April 12, 1881 on the back. I just found out that it is part of an old clock :hello2:

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/pages/clock5418.php

a small piece of copper (crushed) No idea
a piece of bottle with some kind of metal thingy still inside. It has some writting on it as well. What is it :dontknow:
1 tea spoon

I still have a lot of hunting to do at this place so hopefully I'll pull some coppers out of here sooner or later. Thanks for looking. Ron

The CW coin is the one I found a few weeks ago for you that may have missed it earlier.

012-27.jpg

019-18.jpg

021-13.jpg

022-12.jpg

020-14.jpg

032-5.jpg

033-4.jpg

034-4.jpg

035-4.jpg

036-4.jpg

037-3.jpg

039-4.jpg

042-4.jpg

040-4.jpg

041-4.jpg

038-3.jpg

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Little Silver On the Menu. Button ID Help Needed

Nice hunt there congrats on the merc,token,and button.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

Another great hunt CJH. Congrats on the silver. I think the button is the highlite of the hunt. I'm sure someone will id it for you.

Myself, I like the zipperpull best. ;D

I'll be watching to see what the button is. I love buttons. :thumbsup:

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

hey another great hunt buddy!!! congrats. willy

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Nice Finds ! I believe the the metal thing in the bottle held a cork. You had a great day in my book, your braving the weather better then I am, I was out yesterday and got soaked so didn't want to make it 2 days in a row, 40s here too, WTG, as usual I'm always impressed with your finds CJ !!!

TommNJ

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Didn't find a whole lot of things today but did mange a few keepers

I don't know, I'd be pretty excited to find what you found. Nice digs Jarhead. That token is great. Also like the button and the silver dime.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TommNJ said:
Nice Finds ! I believe the the metal thing in the bottle held a cork. You had a great day in my book, your braving the weather better then I am, I was out yesterday and got soaked so didn't want to make it 2 days in a row, 40s here too, WTG, as usual I'm always impressed with your finds CJ !!!

TommNJ

Actually I done some winter hunts last year with 6 inches of snow on the ground :laughing7:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Wow, I don't think I can top that one, but I have up broke and bent up enough of my digging tools trying to hunt in the cold weather, there's nothing more aggravating than not being able to dig up your target in the frozen ground. I do like hunting in the woods in the winter because the leaves add a good insulation to dig into the ground, as long as you got something to dig!

TommNJ

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC

I think the button is a General Staff button, high convex, 1850-1860's. My Tice book has it listed as:

GS226A24
"* EXTRA * / QUALITY" dm between two rings of dots.

There are many variations of the button, but pretty sure that is the one you have. I will try and find an image for you.

Nice finds.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SCMDing said:
Even better pics to compare:

B4615A.jpg

B4615B.jpg

That's great then. CW Token now a button. I'd say someone went to war and came back to this place. I found one last year at another 1835 homesite. It too was a general service but in very good condition. Thanks for the help

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

As I was looking at your pics, I thought "That looks like the back of a clock". I Googled Jerome & Co. and they were a clock company. So...........I'm thinkin' it's the back of a clock. Looks like some cool stuff. There's more to be found on that site. I believe Mother Nature has cheated us out of our October this year. I'm in Southern IN, and it was cold, but not too cold to keep me in.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

coinmaster2db said:
As I was looking at your pics, I thought "That looks like the back of a clock". I Googled Jerome & Co. and they were a clock company. So...........I'm thinkin' it's the back of a clock. Looks like some cool stuff. There's more to be found on that site. I believe Mother Nature has cheated us out of our October this year. I'm in Southern IN, and it was cold, but not too cold to keep me in.

Thanks. I just did the same thing. It is the back of an old clock. You must have been looking at it the same time I was :laughing7:

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Re: New Site Produces A CW Button And A Little Silver

The button is a General Staff Officers, the one you found last spring was a General Service. They are a little different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions