Good Private Yard

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I had my eye on a house for sale for a while now. House is a nice 1915 home with a good sized yard(1/3 acre?). I even called the real estate agent about detecting, but didn't get anywhere. Saturday morning I drove by the house, and they were having a garage sale. I approached the owner and asked if I could detect. He was really cool, and said YES. He did state two problems: 1) He was closing on the house this Monday, and 2) Someone detected it a few years back.
I solved the first problem by cashing in some brownie points with my wife, and I started detecting. I turned on the machine, and was about to noise cancel when a nice signal entered my headphones. I quickly pinpointed, and out popped 2 silver quarters. I knew right then the second problem wasn't a problem. I am guessing the site was hit with a radio shack special or a completely inept detectorist.
The rest of the hunt produced a total of 4 silver Washington's(most I have found in one yard), 1 silver rosie, 1 1908 Indian, 20 wheat pennies, 1 "Silver Front" marked belt buckle, a cool New York thing-a-ma-doodle, 1933 Dog License, 3 old metal figures, 5 modern pennies, 1 modern dime, and 1 modern nickel. For my type of hunting this was a very good yard. I think I cleaned it out, but there were still a bunch of low conductors, and a few high ones I passed up. The only problem with the yard was aluminum siding clippings that ring up from about Indian Head to Silver depending on their size.

Happy Hunting,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• 101709a.jpg
    101709a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 847
  • 101709b.jpg
    101709b.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 843
  • 101709c.jpg
    101709c.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 853
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds . I love it when people tell me it has been hunted. The last house they told me had been hunted produced a 2 cent piece, 3 IH's, and a bunch of wheats. I think it was just cherry picked (no silver). The people just grabbed the easy stuff

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver finds. Like the "New York thing-a-ma-doodle". :icon_thumright:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was you I would get back there again Monday and hit it one more hard time......Matt

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I found two fo the horseman on horses myself recently. any idea where they come from?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread