made a great "eyeball" find!

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
made a great "eyeball" find!

well i just havent been swinging much lately but i have to share this "eye" find with you folks because i know you can appreciate this.

I was waiting in line at the store and it was a long wait, i was looking around the gum, magazines, and all the knick-knacks they have at the register area.....when suddenly i notice someone set two pennies down on part of the candy rack, i look closer and my heart jumps.....is it real? YES! the other coin was a beat up memorial penny, dirty and crusty....so i figure someone was cleaning out their change purse and must have thought this was a foreign coin. pretty cool!

Attachments

• eyeball find.JPG
    eyeball find.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: made a great "eyeball" find!

Great eyeball find indeed! :thumbsup: Sweet.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

some daddy is gonna be pissed when he figures out his kid got into his collection :P

nice find with those eyeballs :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Nice eyeball find !!!

TommNJ

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet!! :icon_thumleft:

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

beautiful find and great color! love those early fatties. it doesn't weigh more than it seems like it should does it?
sometimes, especially in the early 20th century, employees at the mint would let "slip" a few $2.50 gold planchets into the penny dies, resulting in gold pennies.
probably not the case here, but had to ask. dwayne

BRASSF

Jan 18, 2007
Deltona, FL
Detector(s) used
2 sticks
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

your title says it all!!!! :hello2:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmm, :icon_scratch:

Looking like some kid left it behind from dad's coin collection. :laughing7: As far as the gold penny, looks like maybe it could be gold? ??? Heh, Have it tested that's a great eyeball find ! :notworthy:

Keep @ It and HH!! :D ;D

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

gold thats not gold! its just the color there supposed to be. were so used to looking at dug coins ::) awesome find. i forget but there might be a variety. look it up. willy

OP
OP
moonshine

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac

thanks for the kind words folks...i wish you the same good luck as well!

it is a thick, interesting coin. the detail is so crisp...maybe the pic distorts the color a bit, but it does look like a normal cent, although my book says this is a copper-nickel as opposed to bronze, but i dont know what the diference is. this coin has a very bright but natural tone and has a really pleasant look to it.

i do feel for the real owner though....im sure that it belongs somewhere proper, not with me. maybe whoever it really belongs to can rest assured someone who appreciates it for what it is, has it now. im sure it came, somehow, from a SUPER collection.....but then again, what coins do we ever truly "own'....everything material is temporary. i just hope that it was "passed down" and then spent ignorantly, and not stolen. but it had to have changed hands at least once sine then i imagine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread