🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STUNNING TWO CENT, Coppers, and More--My Finds From HB's 8Reales Hunt

Hello All,

Went out yesterday with HB to hunt in the rainy muck on a very old site here in Kentucky. It took us a little while to find the site. There was iron everywhere--stove parts, cooking pot fragments, and junk. We first thought we were on a barn site, but then realized that the spot was occupied for a Long time and was loaded with junk. So we got digging, knowing that we'd dig 50 lbs of iron in order to get the goodies. I knew the site had to be old, but it took a while for the first flat button to be recovered. After I got a nice barrel tap, I knew we'd likely have a good day. :)

I got an IH fairly quickly, then HB got one. Then HB struck it BIG. He called me over to show me a HUGE silvery coin--a period counterfeit 8 Reales in Incredible condition. :o

1.jpg

I couldn't believe it as I picked the coin up. I would've NEVER expected something like this to come up in Kentucky. These 8 Reales are usually Northeastern or Canadian finds.

2.jpg

Well, at this point--with only an IH and some junk in my pockets--I thought I might be headed towards a skunk. But I dug hard and soon was greeted by a disc-shaped dirt clod that gave off a copper reading. :icon_sunny:

3.jpg

When I turned the little clod over, there was a nice Large Cent inside.

4.jpg

I kept digging, and 15 feet away I got an iffy signal. Removing a chunk of big iron from the hole I rescanned and got a nice high reading. Another shovel scoop and I was staring at my 2nd Largie of the day. Here's a photo of it trapped in the dirt:

5.jpg

At this point I knew I was catching up to HB, so I thought I ought to cool down a bit and swing a little slower. But only a few swings later I got another coin signal. As soon as I saw it, I shouted "2 Cent Piece!" When I bent over to take a look, I realized that it was the FINEST 2c I have ever dug:

6.jpg

7.jpg

We dug a bit more and a few more flat buttons were found, along with part of a stirrup HB got, and an old lock and keyhole cover I dug. The rain had been drizzling all day, but it had started to pick up a bit (and I was worried about my detector condom, a.k.a. Plastic Bag). :D So we called it a day.

Here is a photo of all of our finds (except for the pounds and pounds of iron):

8.jpg

And our coin finds for the hunt. (Seeing photos like this one keeps me digging :)):

9.jpg

Here are my finds, cleaned up. The Large Cents are dated 1818 and 1828. The 2c piece is 1867.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Best Wishes and HH,

Buckles

Upvote 0

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Re: STUNNING TWO CENT, Coppers, and More--My Finds From HB's 8Reales Hunt

WOW ~ such awesome treasures! That Two Cent piece is SO NICE!!! WOOHOO!!! Congrat's!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another one I missed! Sweet Duece!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That turned into a great hunt BB!!! The coins were a very pleasant surprise I am sure. That 2 cent piece is a beauty. Those Reales show up at the most unexpected places. I'm sure you remember the 8 Reales I found near a U.S. CW Artillery site. I believe a Yankee Soldier serving in the Mexican War brought it home and carried it during the CW. Great Finds!! Regards, Quindy.

Attachments

• DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 333

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find........I found one years ago....its nice to see that BIG Silver coin looking back at you.....Congrats on some nice Coins and Relics!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Yours was one of those "I don't know where to start" (in terms of commenting) hunts.

How about I just say that's the best 2-cent piece that I've ever seen come out of the ground! 8 Reale I can just dream about..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread