Finally ... My First Seated Coin ... Woohoo!!!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out on Sunday for about 3 hours to hunt an old farmstead site I researched last year. I've hunted it two or three times in the past but its been plowed, planted in corn, and harvested since I was there last. I decided to work an area on the edge of the spot where I have always concentrated my efforts. Turned on the 750 walked about ten steps and bam ... a nice dime signal at 2-3 inches. I dug the plug and saw the hint of silver in it. As I removed the coin and gently removed the dirt I could barely believe my eyes as the first thing I saw was the date ~ 1876! I thought to myself ... I have just dug my first seated coin after 4 years of detecting ... Hallelujah I finally accomplished that goal and she's in pretty decent shape as well aside from being holed! I finally calmed down and got back to detecting. The rest of the day's finds were 3 wheat cents, 2 memorial cents, a clad dime, a couple of marbles (which I really enjoy finding), and a few odds and ends. Thanks for looking ~ Jimmy

Attachments

• JonestownNov1st.jpg
    JonestownNov1st.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 773
  • FirstSeatedDime.jpg
    FirstSeatedDime.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 715
  • FirstSeatedDime2.jpg
    FirstSeatedDime2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 721
  • Jonestown2Nov1st.jpg
    Jonestown2Nov1st.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 780
  • Jonestown3Nov1st09.jpg
    Jonestown3Nov1st09.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 771
Upvote 0

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Major congrats on your first seated. Still waiting on mine.

HH, Jim

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first seated! My oldest silver is a 1900 barber, so a seated coin is the next hurdle to cross. Hope its soon.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Oh man! Congrats on your first seated! :thumbsup: The hole just makes it more personal, more than a coin. :hello2:

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
ok im finally gonna ask, why do they put the holes in them? to wear around their neck? I have seen alot of them like that and was just wondering......Reguardless, Gratz on that first seated!

Lazy J

Greenie
Oct 2, 2009
Washington the state
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Congratulations on the dime. I love it when our coins idolized ideas and not people. Not that people aren't great. Marbles are a great find as well. As for the hole? Nothing can be done, putting it back in the ground doesn't work. :^)

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holed or not buddy it's Great and Great to see you on here posting again!First are always Great no matter what!Keep at it! :notworthy: :thumbsup:

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!! The holes were indeed for wearing around the neck but not for decoration. Most people wore hand made clothes and it was alot of extra work to make pockets so people would hole thier money to keep it safe and handy!!

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice seated!!!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a dandy of a coin!!! MR TUFF

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shame about the hole but an awesome find! Congrats on your frist Seated. :icon_thumright:

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
nice find Jimmy . Now you see I never heard that about no pockets I always Thought It was Given to a soldier's sweetheart goig off to WWI . hMM I never saw that point of view .

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Congrats on the seated, Jim. :icon_thumleft: I am hoping to dig my first one will dig my first one this fall. I'd love to get down to NC and dig a little someday. My Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandparents lived in Rowan County before coming to IN. It would be cool to dig up my own ancestor's pocket spill from 1800 (assuming such a spill took place) ;D

OP
OP
JimBeHuntin'

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weddle546 said:
ok im finally gonna ask, why do they put the holes in them? to wear around their neck? I have seen alot of them like that and was just wondering......Reguardless, Gratz on that first seated!
Thanks for the reply Weddle546 ... I was thinking that this particular coin may have been holed and worn as a necklace because of the date 1876 ... the first centenial of our country and our Declaration of Independence ... just a guess though ~ Jimmy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread