These should not found in the USA ... but here is one !!! Updated W/Link

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
This was sent to me as part of my research on the coin by my buddy JimNiagara.

That's a hammered Elizabeth I shilling... found in the US has got to be a rare find! They were holed in the reign of William III before being withdrawn in the great recoinage of 1696 . This was posted by the site admin of minelabowners.com.This guy is in all kinda videos ..Sorta famous. he lives in England ,He should know this type of coinage.Grats!!

This is the vid of the hunt and the find ,,, By NiagrcountyNY

http://www.youtube.com/user/NiagracountyNY#p/a/u/0/X9dkDtHE6Vk

I have found reales a Spanish Cob 1655 and a gold coin. I have been detecting for a long time and it takes a lot to get me excited but you never know what is waiting to be uncovered. I was not in England detecting but here in the USA...

ELIZABETH I, 1560-1561,

A silver groat, NOT FOUND IN ENGLAND but here in the USA.... How did this coin find its way to Western New York on top of a mountain hundreds of miles from any ocean? This was a wonderful thrill finding such a unique coin in an unexpected location. The Pilgrims will not land for another 60 years. Indians have not seen a white man in these parts and the nation as we know it has not begun.

I am sure that a settler from England was given this as a family keepsake and was lost during the hard times in the 1830 while trying to eek out a living on a mountain of dirt and rock. or ........

It was lost by some very early unrecorded explorer who made it to the US and traveled up to mountain top and it fell from his sack only to be found 400 years later.

It was found at a dept of 8-10 inches with my E-Track. There is a video on U-Tube and if someone could add the link you will see a real nice day of DETECTING.

I wanted to post this for your enjoyment. I still can't believe that I found this....

Bucky

Attachments

• Naples 280.jpg
    Naples 280.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,012
  • Naples 285.jpg
    Naples 285.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,039
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: These should not found in the USA ... but here is one !!!

I would look heavily where you found it * you could be onto a important historical find -- you might have found a explorers camp site or death site who knows?

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

ivan salis said:
very possible scrather * --still would have to have been a very very rare early trade / salvaged from a wreck / whatever item by its date range . --very cool however it got there.

I agree, there was quite a bit of English contact on the East coast, though, around this time and for 50 years afterwards. I've just always had a hard time believing that most of these holed reales and early coins that we find were worn by Europeans. I'm probably wrong though, just going by my own experience with finds that I've made.

OP
OP
H

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a

Thanks for the comments. You also asked about the gold coin. I tried to cut and paste I am not sure once I hit send the picture with finds its way to this comment. If it does not work you can find the pic in the banner along with the enclosed story ,,, IT was a 1878 $5.00 gold .. Thanks Jim

Thirty One years of Detecting over 300,000 holes dug and I finely dug my first Gold Coin. Found on 3-28-09. It is a 1878 US Five Dollar Gold coin found with my new E-Trac detector. It was like all other signals when digging old foundations, you get a good signal you dig it... But this one was different, NO junk, No shell casing, No Copper, No Lead but a wedge of soil with this gold edge sticking out the side. I could see the gold but in the past I have been fooled by heavy Gilt golden Buttons. I could see the reeding on the edge of the item. I knew now it was a gold coin. As I removed the dirt I was hoping it was a $10.00 gold coin, then I was hoping it was a 1700 gold coin, I then so carefully removed the dirt but I did not scrap the dirt off I picked it off not wanting to cause damage to the surface. I did manage to hit it slightly on the edge with a shovel but you can only tell when holding the coin in the light you can see the new scrapes. Wow 31 years , thousands of holes and when you least expect it .. A Gold 1878 $5.00 coin appears in a hole that should have been just another target ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You never know... !!! Bucky

0011 1064.jpg (69.62 KB, 466x466 - viewed 5652 times.)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scratcher said:
ivan salis said:
very possible scrather * --still would have to have been a very very rare early trade / salvaged from a wreck / whatever item by its date range . --very cool however it got there.

I agree, there was quite a bit of English contact on the East coast, though, around this time and for 50 years afterwards. I've just always had a hard time believing that most of these holed reales and early coins that we find were worn by Europeans. I'm probably wrong though, just going by my own experience with finds that I've made.

Mostly, it was an easy & safe way to carry them on long journeys. ie sewn into your clothes & cut out when needed. No pockets at the time & purses that hung from the waiste were easy targets & easy to drop off.

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

CRUSADER said:
scratcher said:
ivan salis said:

Mostly, it was an easy & safe way to carry them on long journeys. ie sewn into your clothes & cut out when needed. No pockets at the time & purses that hung from the waiste were easy targets & easy to drop off.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Hunter. Once again, great find :icon_thumleft: I guess I should have made it more clear that I was referring more to the coins found in North America in areas where there was more early Native contact. I'm sure the vast number of holed coins found elsewhere were holed for a variety of purposes. I just think we should consider the native possibility also when finding early holed coins. There was alot of early trade as well as much violence between the two parties. Coins encountered during these violent encounters were probably stolen from bodies, etc. It's logical to assume that one of their only uses could have been jewelry. After looking into this a little more I found this reply about holed coins from Michigan Badger on a much earlier thread.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,26904.msg181239.html#msg181239

It's interesting that he is from the same general area that I hunt in. Does anyone know what happened to MB by the way?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

sewing coinage into clothing -- or wearing it on a thong around the neck under your shirt --were both common ways to carry money in those days -- since pockets in clothing as we know them today quite simply did not exist * and coin pouches worn tied at the waist , screamed rob me, I've got money .

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

another possibility is a kid took it from his dads
collection and they went hiking on that mountain
and the kid ended up losing it.
Ever how it got there, its a wonderful find !!!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice...yes it can happen...heard a few stories like this over the years... WTG... interesting if you pull more of them up... :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scratcher said:
CRUSADER said:
scratcher said:
ivan salis said:

Sorry to hijack your thread, Hunter. Once again, great find :icon_thumleft: I guess I should have made it more clear that I was referring more to the coins found in North America in areas where there was more early Native contact. I'm sure the vast number of holed coins found elsewhere were holed for a variety of purposes. I just think we should consider the native possibility also when finding early holed coins. There was alot of early trade as well as much violence between the two parties. Coins encountered during these violent encounters were probably stolen from bodies, etc. It's logical to assume that one of their only uses could have been jewelry. After looking into this a little more I found this reply about holed coins from Michigan Badger on a much earlier thread.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,26904.msg181239.html#msg181239

It's interesting that he is from the same general area that I hunt in. Does anyone know what happened to MB by the way?

That could be possible, but my point still stands, that the hole was likely done before the trip across the sea, therefore if robbed by natives, it would have the hole in already (If they so wished to wear it).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

most likely the european would have holed it to sew on his clothing or put on a thong for safe keeping.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gold nuggets said:
That's why we love this hobbie,
Ya never know what you will find next. :thumbsup:
Congratulations on a sweet find.
Gold Nuggets :hello:
Very well said !!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

:o :o Very nice Groat :o cross and crosslet mm....1560-1 It doesn't supprise me it turned up over there :thumbsup:

By the way....BANNER :icon_sunny: another note about the hole...touch piece (to ward of evil, bring good luck ect,) :thumbsup:

SS

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

An interesting discussion(at least to me :)). Has anyone ever found a cut coin with a hole in it?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find.

You just never know what might turn up. I found a 2 reale some years back, and last year I found a 3rd century Roman coin in southwest Kansas. Its always possible.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why do people assume the greatest possible explanation like. ??? It came from a Monk that walked on his hands around the world 300 years ago before anyone was here. :icon_scratch: I'm going with the more likely story and that is. Someone went to the top of this mountain to look at a view or something. Having the necklace on and losing it off a chain or rope likely a more modern loss. How modern I have no Idea maybe early 1920's. :dontknow: I don't think it came from a pre columbian explorer... :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

OP
OP
H

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a

That's a hammered Elizabeth I shilling... found in the US has got to be a rare find! They were holed in the reign of William III before being withdrawn in the great recoinage of 1696 . This was posted by the site admin of minelabowners.com.This guy is in all kinda videos ..Sorta famous. he lives in England ,He should know this type of coinage.Grats!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hunter1805 said:

Right OK, I live in England as well, & yes a rare find :wink:

The great recoinage of the hammered coinage was done by punching a hole in the centre of the coin. That was the Law otherwise punching it anywhere else didn't count & was an offence. If your going to demonetise a coin you don't stick a carefully placed hole at the top which allows the Queens head to hang upright.
Read the extract of the Law:

"Persons having unclipt hammered Monies before 10th Feb. 1695, to cause the same to be punched.; After 10th Feb. no unclipt hammered Monies to be current unless so punched.; Receiving, &c. such appearing to be clipt; Penalty; Quarter Sessions empowered to determine Offences.

And in regard such of the Coins of this Realme formerly made with the Hammer and not by the Mill and Presse and which doe att this time remain Whole and Unclipt will still bee most liable and subject to that pernicious Crime of Clipping or Rounding by wicked Persons who regard their owne unjust Lucre more then the Preservation of their native Countrey. For the better Prevention thereof bee it further enacted by the. Authority aforesaid That every Person having such unclipt hammered Moneys in his her or their Hands...doe before the Tenth Day of February One thousand six hundred ninety five or before they dispose of the same cause such unclipt Moneys to bee struck through about the Middle of every Piece with a solid Punch that shall make a Hole without diminishing the Silver And that after the said Tenth Day of February noe unclipt hammered Moneys (that is to say) such Pieces as have both Rings. or the greatest part of the Letters appearing thereon shall bee Current unlesse it be soe struck through And if any Piece struck through shall appeare afterwards to bee clipt noe Person shall tender or receive the same in Payment under the Penalty of. forfeiting as much as the clipt Moneys soe puncht through shall amount to in Tale to bee recovered to the Use of the Poor of the Parish where such Money shall bee soe tendred or received And His Majesties Justices of the Peace or the major part of them in the General Quarter Session upon Complaint to bee made to them of such Offence are hereby impowered to take Cognizance thereof and to determine the same and for that purpose to cause the Parties complained of to appear before them and in case of Conviction to issue their Warrant or Warrants to levy such Penalty upon the Goods and Chattells of the Offenders."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread