My find of a Lifetime - Revolutionary War Cartridge Pouch Badge

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got back to a site where I found a couple of revolutionary war buttons a couple of weeks ago. Hit it hard again for 2 hours and turned up nothing...not one single find.

I was a little disappointed at first, but decided to explore the surrounding woods in hopes of turning up something else. About 200 metres away I got a hit. Turned out to be another button. Then another...and another. I was on cloud nine as I realized the area I hunted before was not the main camp obviously.

I will get some photos up of the buttons later...

My find of the day, and my lifetime was this Royal Highland Emigrants cartridge pouch badge!! Not only is it in beautiful clean condition, it has some sweet detail! One lug is missing from the rear, but had it been there I probably would not have made this find. The 71st regiment used this exact plate, only there was a number 71 engraved in the circle at the bottom. Note mine is blank. This is because the Royal Highland Emigrants had not officially received a regimental number yet.

I still can't get over this piece!! It gave a sweet signal in one direction, and a terrible signal the other way. I knew there was a good signal in there with iron. Sure enough, 6 inches down I pulled out a massive iron spike. When I put the probe back in the hole and heard it ring off, it crossed my mind it could be a belt plate as I knew it was large brass. It was smack in the middle of roots and large rocks so I dug it out by hand and I am grateful I did!!! When I pushed the dirt our from behind the roots, the dirt peeled off forward leaving the face of this bad boy sticking out of the dirt. I didn't touch it for 3 minutes!!! I just stared at it in shock and disbelief.

Attachments

• DSC06914.jpg
    DSC06914.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 5,164
  • DSC06915.jpg
    DSC06915.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,247
  • DSC06913.jpg
    DSC06913.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6,512
Upvote 1

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I loooooove the username change, Wess! :headbang: Colonial all the way!!!!! :headbang:

I'm still amazed at that recovery! Sweet!

Kirk

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big congrat's Wess, it's just a real beauty to look at. :thumbsup:
Hope your able to get to the site before the snow flies.

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
that is one sweet plate dud!!!
big congrats on that find :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to bring this baby back to light after Colonialdudes new find of a lifetime post... unreal and congrats

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, Great find!! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread