Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all,

After work I decided to try to squeeze in some more time at the big field and see if I could score some good iron relics. Well, I found some cool stuff, alright.

Mr. Dog was quiet at first, but I dug something up, and oddly enough, he suddenly zeroed in on me from his cage 1/4 mile away. The furious barking commenced forthwith.

That, friends, is because I think I finally dug up his UFO:

finds-nov-9-bell.jpg

It's the ship his multiple-great Grand-dog-daddy used to crash-land in this valley in 1795. He was none too happy about my taking possession of said micro craft, clearly.

I also found another small object (misplaced it during the cleaning phase, dang it) which was clearly the reactor core to the UFO. I reckoned that once I had it in my possession, it would shut him down and stop the barking, but no such luck. He was yapping furiously. It now dawned on me that I was digging on his treasure stash, and he didn't like it. So I went ahead and dug some more relics,

....including some iron (nothing awesome there, but not bad... I did find another one of those axe-like wedges, a fatter wedge, and some others)...

finds-nov-9-iron.jpg

and guess what...

Another screamer of a signal, how could I have missed it on days 1 and 2? I was afraid to turn the disc knob up past screw cap, but I did. You know what I mean? Still smooth, round, perfect. I was careful to dig it. Aha! One of them green copper discs I have come to like so much. I couldn't read a date but I saw it was an early one, judging from the back design.

finds-nov-9-largecent.jpg

finds-nov-9-largecentback.jpg

I got another halfway decent signal, tried to dig it, and ended up breaking the screwdriver while prying a rock. Wrist didn't like that too much.

finds-nov-9-iron2.jpg

I also dug a very old 22 short bullet (pictured) at 6 inches. That Tejon will find small lead and brass at depths you won't even believe.

Took the copper home and it turned out to be an 1803 Draped Bust. Worn, but hey, still cool. There were some other cool relics I recovered before it got totally dark tonight, including a rifle or musket ball that was 8 inches down. I might have to go back in search of deepies. Could be another coin or two there. Hoping to find an early axe head or something.

finds-nov-9.jpg

This has been a great 3 days for me. I don't know if I can repeat the 1-largecent-a-day feat, but it was fun, and I'll be sure to go back when I can. Here are the 3 large cents together:

largecents-nov7-8-9.jpg

Thanks for looking, everyone!

HH
Chris

Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Re: Day 3 at the Big Field! 1803 Large Cent, Relics, broke a screwdriver

Sweet Draped Bust largie, Rusted Iron! :thumbsup: That field is going to produce a Spanish silver.

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Day 3 at the Big Field! 1803 Large Cent, Relics, more barking dog!!

jeffk said:
sweet :headbang: :headbang:
jeffk

Thanks JeffK!

KylePA said:
Sweet Draped Bust largie, Rusted Iron! :thumbsup: That field is going to produce a Spanish silver.

Thanks Kyle! Spanish silver... now you've got me thinking about going back there sooner rather than later. The finds could taper out, but there are still junk signals and a lot of fainter ones if I move slow. Could be a silver hiding in there :-)

Chris

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250

What a variety and great story..

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deal with pooch's annoying ,yelping, if you dig more coppers like that !! . :idea1: :idea1:Try throwing the dog a bone , some old silver may turn up . :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mcdpoor said:
What a variety and great story..

Thanks mcdpoor, glad you liked it!

CMDiamonddawg said:
Deal with pooch's annoying ,yelping, if you dig more coppers like that !! . :idea1: :idea1:Try throwing the dog a bone , some old silver may turn up . :thumbsup:

Yeah, I might just have to hit that area some more and bring some treats for Mr. Dog to keep him distracted.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an awesome hunt...I'm sure that place has alot more to offer.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
It's not quantity it's quality.

Those are some nice early finds. Very typical for early sites just to come up with a small handful of finds. I bet there is more out there somewhere. These are the types of finds I live for. They don't come by very often.

HH Jer

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
three large is a sweet lil haul.... dig all ;D MR TUFF

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mach 1 Pilot said:
Nice job finding those! :icon_thumright:

Thanks Mach1 Pilot!

Rando said:
Did you make that screwdriver in shop class?
It looks like one I made in HS school shop class.
Wish I still had it....

A most excellent post, Borat worthy I should say:

Thanks Rando, I feel privileged to receive my first Borat. :-D

No, I didn't make the screwdriver, I picked it up in a box of junk a few years ago, I really liked it for digging for the whole 2 weeks I used it. I think someone did make it in shop class, it has (had) initials in the wood handle. When the 'driver broke, my wrist kept goin'. Still hurts today.

Bedfordbob said:
Nice Iron and Copper :icon_thumright:
Sniffy said:
Looks like an awesome hunt...I'm sure that place has alot more to offer.
sscindercoop said:
Nice relics and LC's :icon_thumleft:
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
:icon_thumright: nice digs there ;D

Thanks for your kind comments, guys!

4-H said:
Great finds Chris! And what a cool story. Give me a shout when your in the neighborhood! Mike HHHH

Thanks Mike, glad you liked it! Would love to hunt with you if I'm ever in your area.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Nice going Chris. Those coppers would sure make my day!

Thanks Neil. Coming from one of the Jersey crew, that means a lot. (Or according to Iron Patch, the Jersey thugs, LOL)

cdltpx said:
There has got to be a gold coin in that ground?

I think I am going to dig every hit above iron nails from now on, just in case. I would love to find one of those. Still looking for my first.

JerDfx said:
It's not quantity it's quality.

Those are some nice early finds. Very typical for early sites just to come up with a small handful of finds. I bet there is more out there somewhere. These are the types of finds I live for. They don't come by very often.

HH Jer

Thanks Jer. I know what you mean. I am not normally one to find a lot of coins from any site, usually I just sort of poke around and dig a few relics, hope for some wheaties and maybe a Barber, but mainly I like the rusty iron which tends to be of low value monetarily. Do you remember way back when, my post about the Eighth Acre of Ultimate Frustration? Heh. Neither quantity nor quality, that. Not even any good iron. I doubt I would be able to keep up with you on a hunt, but I'd sure love to go along.

Mr Tuff said:
three large is a sweet lil haul.... dig all ;D MR TUFF
allen said:
you never know what will come out of the ground !!

Thanks for your comments Allen and Mr Tuff! Dig all is the way to go, you really cannot predict what's going to come up!

Hey everyone, I have another post coming up... I got in a visit to the field again... ;-D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread