Im BACK!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm BACK!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

hi everyone,

I got back to that field today. You knew that was gonna happen.

The little dog was not there. Later I would realize where he went... His pal Big Woofer started barking at me, of course. I made my way back to the spot where I had so far found five large cents and a bunch of relics.

Woofer makes a lot of noise, but he doesn't stay at it long. Quickly the field got silent, except for the beeps from my detector of course. What's weird is, I smelled that smell of tobacco, that 1820 smell. It only lasted for a short time. It happened in the large cent patch. This is getting pretty interesting, I thought. Ghosts! Or the devil, whichever. Or a clever ploy by Yappy, perhaps. Whatever, man, I have largies to dig!

Anyway, I started really pounding that spot where I found the stuff these past few hunts. Started finding some relics. I found a door bolt, a nice jumbo square nail, and a couple other decent iron pieces. Stoked! The electrolysis bath will be in full swing this winter. When I find out for sure if I found a 200 BC relic, I will post cleaned pics. That one piece in yesterday's photo maybe didn't look like much, but I knew it was something special. I likes iron.

finds-nov-11-iron.jpg

I found a few bits of pewter, and then I swung the coil over a tall patch of alfalfa. Coil was a good 5 inches above the ground, and I got that loud signal. Loud like a beer can, but this was different. I had a feeling. It did not disc out, smooth all the way to SCAP. I knew what it was. I was like 99% sure. So I started digging very carefully.

After a while, checking with the pinpointer, carefully removing dirt, I saw that green disc. This time I brought my camera.

finds-nov-11-lc-digging.jpg

Yeah, buddy!! That's what I'm talkin' about.

The back was a lot cleaner than the front. I did not try to rub it in the field, at all. I didn't even try to brush away the dirt. No way. Wrapped that disc up and put 'er away carefully.

finds-nov-11-largecent.jpg

finds-nov-11-lcback.jpg

I poked around a little more and found a really nice flat button. I do not know this maker, anyone? It is not the usual "RICH GILT" type deal. Unusual to have an actual maker's name on a flattie, that much I know from digging a few. So this becomes one of my favorite button finds.

finds-nov-button.jpg

And here are the nonferrous relics together with the LC:

finds-nov-11.jpg

Well as the light was fading, I found a little tiny button. It's in that picture above. Yappy started barking! He was back, and guess what, he brought friends. I figured this out, now. See, he was up at Iron Patch's place for the day, doing a little leotard shopping :laughing7:. He got sick of losing buttons. That little button was his, I'm pretty sure.

So anyway, he had like 2 or 3 other little dogs with him, and they were not happy with my presence. I know, I know, you're probably wondering how he got up to Patch's place and back so quick. Well that UFO I dug yesterday was obsolete technology for him.

It was another awesome day, and the sun was fading fast. I took a photo before I packed up and got out of there.

finds-nov-11-sunset.jpg

Now we're up to 6, count 'em, six largies from one site. I haven't even really started to touch on the narrow, faint, iffy signals. Well, OK, I did dig one or two before dark, but those were nails I'm saving for Iron Patch's consolation prizes when the PA boys trounce him in a bout of 'tectin. Actually, one signal was a flat button without the shank, at like 7 inches, partly on edge, and for a second I thought I finally had an early dime. Oh well, maybe next time.

finds-Nov-7-8-9-10-11-largecents.jpg

Thanks for looking, y'all.

Chris

Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Re: I'm BACK!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

You're on a mission...to dig up loads of coppers. :thumbsup: Keep up the great digging, Chris! Think 10+ from that site and it will happen!

Kyle

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2

wow you are doing great out there, :icon_thumleft: (WTG) the pic's came out great .. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

S

seger98

Some very amazing nice finds. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BandB1 said:
Sweet finds Rusted, those dogs sound malevolent, you need a benevolent goose to watch over
you. LC's incredible, Congrats! :thumbsup:
Good luck,
HH.

Thanks BandB1. on Day 5 after I dug the 2 LC's, I heard something quacking or honking really loud, I think it was a duck but not sure. Maybe it is the dog's nemesis. ;D

Mr Tuff said:
wow another and another and another!!!!!! way to go rusted iron :o MR TUFF
Thanks Mr. Tuff! You will find your first LC soon with that new Safari, I bet!

goldguru said:
Wow U got some Ole Dirt there..
take a cple biscuits fer Yappy..maybe train him to dig fer Ya.. :dontknow:
Yeah, I should leave him some snacks to distract him while I detect!

IronSpike said:
Wow great daily average on the LC's. Looks like your spot will produce many more before it starts slowing down. The Earl & Boucher button is very nice :icon_thumright:
Thanks IronSpike, hopefully I can pull some more out of there!

Mach 1 Pilot said:
Looks like another great PA spot for relics - nice largie and button! :icon_thumright:
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
Nice finds Chris :icon_thumright:
romeo-1 said:
Nice largie!
Thanks Mach1, Brian, and Romeo-1!

KylePA said:
You're on a mission...to dig up loads of coppers. :thumbsup: Keep up the great digging, Chris! Think 10+ from that site and it will happen!
Kyle

Thanks for the encouragement, Kyle! I have a couple other sites that are promising. Not sure I can keep up with KKC (...or CKK if you ask Chris...), nor Jeremy on the coins, but it doesn't hurt to try :icon_thumright:

allen said:
i need to find one of those fields !!! :thumbsup:

You will, Allen, it took me a long time also, just keep hittin' the sites!

phantomfinder said:
wow you are doing great out there, :icon_thumleft: (WTG) the pic's came out great .. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Thanks phantom, glad you liked the pics!

seger98 said:
Some very amazing nice finds. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement, seger98!

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

That's a great post Rusty! :thumbsup: I'm with you, I like diggin' iron. Square nails rule.

Jim

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT

nice large cents!!!

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ziphius said:
That's a great post Rusty! :thumbsup: I'm with you, I like diggin' iron. Square nails rule.

Jim

Thanks Jim! It is hard for people to believe, but I really enjoy digging a good square nail.

Evan/tn said:
nice large cents!!!
whitesPA said:
great finds

Thanks guys!

I don't know if you saw this post, it's newer: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,282769.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread