1902 Silver Half

rb24

Greenie
Jan 2, 2006
Deep in the Heart of Texas
I've been reading the forum and decided to take some advice. I looked up a map of the city from 50 years ago, thought about where people might have been...then went there. At first I was greatly discouraged to find fresh digs(since the last rain). No telling what I might have found. Perseverence paid off. Thanks for the good advice. rb24

Attachments

• MVC-452S.JPG
    MVC-452S.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great start, keep looking at those maps and don't give up.....

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow nice find

Looks like to me who ever was diggin before you missed a few targets. I have even rescanned cut out plugs and open holes left by others and founds coins. Always rescan that hole if one coin can fall in that spot why not two or three......

Kermit

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That is a nice find. What else did you find...clad, junk ???

I just started doing the "map thing". I have maps from 1901. I have located at least two spots where houses use to be and which I have access to. I'm hoping to be the first to the area. If not the first I still might find something..

Bob

OP
OP
rb24

rb24

Greenie
Jan 2, 2006
Deep in the Heart of Texas
I found some other things, but what encouraged me was a very small eyelet of some sort...it was very tiny and deep. ?I figured if I could find that thing, there was a good chance I would find something else. ?As it turned out, this find SCREAMED at me, and showed dead center on my silver range. ?It was only two inches deep, so the other guy just missed it or thought it was junk. ?As a matter of fact, this happened to me once before in a place that has been hunted to death. A silver quarter half an inch deep. ?I think a lot of people think they are on a pop can or something when their detector is screaming at them. ?Not all silver is 12 inches deep. ?Thanks for the e-mail. ?rb24

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Outstanding find!

RESEARCH and PERSISTENCE!!! The two key elements to successful hunting!

Congrats on a very nice find!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
awesome barber half! i just found my first barber dime this past monday and i know how stoked i was to dig that! i know you must have flipped!! well done!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find rb,I guess it does pay to research,something i rarely did in the past,Thank's to these people I do now.HH!!

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
comparing old maps to new ones is one of the most productive ways to find areas to hunt. We do it all the time. Glad it worked for you. I would definitely go back. If the first person missed that half he missed alot more.

Timmy NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread