1888 Indian Head

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Weather was a little chilly today, but the ground was just right for digging. I went to the old site I been detecting when I can. Hunted for around 3 hours. The same place I found the CW Eagle button a few weeks ago. I found this 1888 Indian Head. Also found other bits and pieces. Sorry about the pictures. Had to use the scanner and brighten it some. This place is pretty trashy and the plow and disc aren't leaving much of the glass stuff and some metal in any good shape. I've found two whole milk glass lids, and pieces of the metal lids they go in, but no jars with the stash of coins in them yet. :laughing7:
I still got lot of the house area to hunt and the field around it is pretty big. Hunted a little of it today and didn't get many signals, a few good ones which turned out to be a long piece with a hook on one end and a hole on the other, a alluminum can around 3 or4" deep, and a big round ring that looks like it went to a wagon hitch. Around the house I found a small round ring, maybe off a bridle, a triangle hindge, a large square nail with round top, a buckle and some pieces of metal.
Turning cold the rest of the week, down below freezing tomorrow (15 degrees ) BRRRRRRRRR
Until I find more.
Great hunting to all.

Knightwalker

Attachments

• indy.jpg
    indy.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 578
  • indy 2.jpg
    indy 2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 575
  • indy 3.jpg
    indy 3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IH. I know what that's like to hunt in an area with sparse good targets.

I would like to see that wagon hitch ring and especially a close-up of that square nail. It could be an unusual one, from the way you describe it.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Rusted_Iron said:
Nice IH. I know what that's like to hunt in an area with sparse good targets.

I would like to see that wagon hitch ring and especially a close-up of that square nail. It could be an unusual one, from the way you describe it.
Thank you Rusted_Iron. Yea it's sparse of the good stuff, but finding the CW button made it worth it even tho it was bent in half. I have found other interesting things, even tho they are rusted metal. This is only the third home site I've hunted. the first one was in spring down the road. I found two tokens, a pocket watch, a little red metal match box, a razor with the twist end and lot of milk glass lid, the metal lids and broken jars. That place I don't think is as old as this one. I try to get some pictures of all the stuff I"ve found at this place and let you know.
Good hunting to you.
Knightwalker

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
lostlake88 said:
Nice! People don't realize these coins bring more than silver. Be proud and happy
Thank you Lostlake88. This is true. But it brings just as much joy to me as finding old silver. Tho I"m still waiting for that, don't look like it will be this year. I found some indian heads, buffalos and other silver back in the 80's when I did some detecting. Got away from it for years till the last two years I started getting back into it. Hoping to do a lot more next year. There a lot of old homesteads around here plus I have a friend that been wanting to go gold hunting.
Good hunting.
Knightwalker

S

seger98

Congratulations on the IH, good luck with the rest of the property. Where there is one, there's gotta be another & another.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice indian,

I love to find them

HH Jer

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better check for 1888 over 87 very rare and worth $$$ Great find either way!

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
seger98 said:
Congratulations on the IH, good luck with the rest of the property. Where there is one, there's gotta be another & another.
Thank you seger98. I'm hoping for more and more. I'm finding some nice looking decortive hinges and latches, even if they are rusted.
HH
Knightwalker

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
allen said:
finding a 121 year old coin is worth
getting cold and a bit dirty for !! :coffee2:
Thanks Allen. I never really thought of it that way. Tho I think I might have a heart attack if I find one 300 years old. I did get my gloves pretty dirty, rained a few days earlier. Now if we can have somemore of those nice 50 or 60 days again. Locking wife in closet and going to make it an all dayer. ;D
HH
Knightwalker

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
relic lover said:
Better check for 1888 over 87 very rare and worth $$$ Great find either way!
Yea.. Those mistakes ones are good anytime. Tho the 1909S Indy would be great too. Only little over 300,000 made.
HH
KNightwalker

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
JerDfx said:
Nice indian,

I love to find them

HH Jer
Thanks Jer. I love finding them too. I found some back in the 80's when I was detecting then. Just got back into it last year.
HH
Knightwalker

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Scratch said:
Nice detail on that coin. Looks to be in really nice shape. :icon_thumleft:
Thank you Scratch. It is. Just have to figure out how to clean it up somemore without hurting it. I was shock not to find it scratched up. It wasn't that deep and with this field being plowed and disced at least the past 10 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions