Inspired by others...

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
I had pretty much written off the 2009 season. I made an attempt last week but the snow kept sticking to my coil and after a couple of sweeps it felt like I was swinging a man-hole cover.

Amazed at what other hardy New Englander's were still posting, despite the snow, inspired me to get back out there today. I headed to one of my favorite spots, knowing that there is a hill there that gets a lot of sunshine.

When I got there much of the snow had melted and I was feeling pretty good about my chances. For three hours I was finding the usual lead, buttons, ox knob, iron etc... I was quite surprised at all of the targets that were still there. I thought I had worked this spot better than that !! Further proof that when you think a place is cleaned out, think again !!!.

Anyhow, as I began the walk back to my truck I was thinking about the buttons and other 'relics' I had found and thought "not a bad day". Nothing great but still some nice finds.

As has happened so many times before, 10 feet before I get on the trail back to the truck I get a nice deep but repeatable beep. After fishing through the slush and mud I finally locate a tiny thin silver disc. Thoughts of Spanish silver (or better) quickly disappeared when I saw a shield on the coin. It was a silver 3-cent piece. I have found several of these over the years but each time I find one I'm shocked at just how small and thin these coins are. This one is quite beat up. So much so that I can't even get a date off of it.

If this is in fact my last hunt of 2009 than I am fine with that as I think I certainly ended the season on a high note.

Thanks for looking and here's hoping for a warm front !!!! :occasion14:

Brian in MA

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_3302.JPG
    IMG_3302.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 657
  • 3-cent piece Dec.15, 2009.jpg
    3-cent piece Dec.15, 2009.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 664
Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never give up! Great hunt! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, i just want to find one of those. Congrats anyway.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Brian, you may not get out much, but when you do WOW. :o I love that 3 cent silver. Still digging silver after all these years. :icon_thumleft:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
you can get a general date by the number of outlines around the star. the older ones no outline. and then it goes up to 2 outlines max i think. i have a 1853 no outline. willy

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds...

great to see your still digging...been snowed in and pretty much froze here...

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A siver 3 cent piece is on alot of M. Ders. wish list !! I have talks 2 a few M. Ds. Who have never found 1 even after 20 years in the field!! That is a great find !!! Congrads!!!!!! MaineRelic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread